two encrusting trepostome bryozoans?

Ramona

I'm still trying to find an example of a xenomorph for @Rockwood and I ran across this strange scene on my 57 pound rock (yes, we weighed it) from my son's land in Pulaski, TN.  I know from what I learned here that the pink part is trepostome bryozoan fossils (I love the coloring, by the way!).  It appears to have almost a shell over it, though? And in another place a portion of it is "peeking through" the shell like substance?  Is that another type of encrusting bryozoan? If so, would that make this a xenomorph? 

Thanks!
Ramona

IMG_2462editlow.jpg

IMG_2467editlow.jpg

I'm red green color blind, so I'm struggling to match the question with the photo. I started cutting up blown down trees at daylight this morning too.

I see mostly encrusting bryozoans that appear to have been deposited after death, with the shell they encrusted. There is also a fragment of a branching form.

I'm afraid I don't see a vacant mold to contribute to the xenomorph thought. :headscratch:

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'm red green color blind, so I'm struggling to match the question with the photo. I started cutting up blown down trees at daylight this morning too.

I see mostly encrusting bryozoans that appear to have been deposited after death, with the shell they encrusted. There is also a fragment of a branching form.

I'm afraid I don't see a vacant mold to contribute to the xenomorph thought. :headscratch:

Oh my!  Yeah, if you can't see the color differences here then you won't see what I am talking about! I have outlined the pinkish part in the first photo and then the part that is "peeking through" in the second photo.  It appears as if there is a pebbled type crusty shell on top of these bryozoans, but maybe I am not seeing it correctly?

IMG_2462editlowtext.jpg

I think pink is a fragment of something that I can't identify that just happened to be deposited next to the bryozoan colony in what ever event aggregated the hash.

The second one is a sectioning of a bryozoan colony, but I'm less sure now of the form. It may also be an encrusting.

The color may have significance in identification, but I doubt it would be at all straight forward.  

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I think pink is a fragment of something that I can't identify that just happened to be deposited next to the bryozoan colony in what ever event aggregated the hash.

The second one is a sectioning of a bryozoan colony, but I'm less sure now of the form. It may also be an encrusting.

The color may have significance in identification, but I doubt it would be at all straight forward.  

Yeah, if there's one thing I am learning, it's that there's not much that is straight forward when it comes to identifying the things on this 57 pound rock.  Just the sheer size of it makes it complicated, LOL!! I was looking at this side shot a while ago and being amazed at all the different tiny pieces of bryozoans and other things - many of which will remain unidentified - in a miniscule space. Amazing!  Now, go get some rest and have a good Thanksgiving! 

IMG_2549editlow.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ramona said:

Now, go get some rest and have a good Thanksgiving! 

Good advice. I should have the sense to take it. Best wishes.

• I found this Informative 1