Whitby area finds

dhiggi

Here are three pieces that I have found in the Whitby area (North Yorkshire, UK), all found on the same area of beach but at different times. 
I have posted the top one on here before but was unable to get any firm ID, but the other two are more recent finds. The larger one in the middle I feel bears at least a slight resemblance to fragments of ichthyosaur jaw that I have seen on sale in various places, which I suppose is what has made me hang on to these.

Thank you for looking

8939C282-4D12-4A31-9A05-7F95572D8FD6.jpeg

FE624FD2-B947-46B6-83BD-4A5C665FF42F.jpeg

C2279B44-1671-47EA-B221-A09585C71F16.jpeg

7278C960-7F39-4922-BEA5-8754B9824D05.jpeg

8C5EE315-4EE2-44D0-999F-66BC47401705.jpeg

C84658E7-A50C-4A63-A707-633F5360760F.jpeg

53076135-E132-43D6-AD95-E7DC5D3A65C6.jpeg

D45875B4-E0BB-453D-81F5-DA6C8438CB19.jpeg

0C5F32FD-DC06-452F-A38F-C512FAB5F515.jpeg

55913B9A-BEA5-42A0-93D7-2BD841DD6EF2.jpeg

Any chance of fossil wood?

23 hours ago, dhiggi said:

Here’s one such example that I have seen for sale online as a piece of jaw of Ichthyosaurus communis from Lyme Regis

Now I am really curious! How did they come to that conclusion? Is it the shape of the cross section?

Another question: If these are really jaw fragments, why turn they up so often? Are they more stable than all the rest of the bones? Sorry, I know nothing about this animals, I am just curious. Thanks! :)

Franz Bernhard

19 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Any chance of fossil wood?

Now I am really curious! How did they come to that conclusion? Is it the shape of the cross section?

Another question: If these are really jaw fragments, why turn they up so often? Are they more stable than all the rest of the bones? Sorry, I know nothing about this animals, I am just curious. Thanks! :)

Franz Bernhard

I know of no reason to disagree with wood.

I have seen a few pieces in different places like this described as Ichthyosaur jaw without seeing good reason for it. 
Vertebrae are probably the most common find of ichthyosaurs, I have a couple from a different beach in the area. From smaller ichthyosaurs I suppose the ribs, paddle bones, teeth etc would be very small and tough to find among the shale 

• I found this Informative 1

6 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

I know of no reason to disagree with wood.

That´s quite diplomatic ;).

7 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

like this described as Ichthyosaur jaw without seeing good reason for it.

That´s a :headscratch:. Hopefully, other members will chime in to enlighten us.

10 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

Vertebrae are probably the most common find of ichthyosaurs, I have a couple from a different beach in the area. From smaller ichthyosaurs I suppose the ribs, paddle bones, teeth etc would be very small and tough to find among the shale 

Thanks for the info! Makes sense!
Franz Bernhard

4 minutes ago, LiamL said:

They look like wood to me. The top ones a nice example :)

Thanks for having a look, yeah the top one really stood out among the shale. Really heavy too

I agree the two larger ones are wood, with obvious growth rings.

I'm not sure about the smaller brown piece. The end section does look possibly like bone - can you do a clearer shot of it? (The camera is tending to focus on your fingers - maybe you could mount the piece on blu tac, and use daylight (if there is any!).)

Here's a definite ichthyosaur jaw element, from a near complete skull I found in the Grey Shales many years ago.

IMG_3950.thumb.jpeg.b6a5bf186d4b7bf97ddd13a5089781e0.jpegIMG_1959.jpeg.9888dbaf4431bceade7828803398881a.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Tarquin

Thank you @TqB

I’m incredibly jealous of that skull.

I placed a bid on a partial skull this week in an online auction of around double the estimate; it made around 8 times the estimate in the end. At least I didn’t miss it be pennies I suppose.

Sundays are my only day off work and as the tides only permit a short, early walk tomorrow I should be home in daylight for once; I’ll get some better pictures up then

On 11/28/2020 at 10:50 AM, TqB said:

I agree the two larger ones are wood, with obvious growth rings.

I'm not sure about the smaller brown piece. The end section does look possibly like bone - can you do a clearer shot of it? (The camera is tending to focus on your fingers - maybe you could mount the piece on blu tac, and use daylight (if there is any!).)

Here's a definite ichthyosaur jaw element, from a near complete skull I found in the Grey Shales many years ago.

IMG_3950.thumb.jpeg.b6a5bf186d4b7bf97ddd13a5089781e0.jpeg

I agree the brown coloured one was the most promising. But as ichthyosaur jaws are smooth with parallel "gains" on both surfaces and should show vascularized bone texture in their cross-section - which that piece is lacking - I'd say wood is a good option for all three pieces.

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

I agree the brown coloured one was the most promising. But as ichthyosaur jaws are smooth with parallel "gains" on both surfaces and should show vascularized bone texture in their cross-section - which that piece is lacking - I'd say wood is a good option for all three pieces.

Agreed.

Tarquin