Moab, Utah Fossil sites with coordinates

DPS Ammonite

Here is a good website that gives the gps coordinates for several fossil sites near Moab, Utah. https://www.discovermoab.com/dinosaur-museums-and-hikes/

Nearby south of Moab is the newly discovered mysterious 12 foot tall metal monolith, sort of like the one in Planet of the Apes. 38°20′35.2″N 109°39′58.5″W See video still from David Sparks Instagram page.

If no one claims it then maybe they should take it to a local museum.

90164D78-6276-4C5C-BD6D-15E34633964B.jpeg

63928AEA-8B59-4CC0-87B6-FE5805AB00F3.jpeg

20938418-EABD-4501-9417-21353D721AE6.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I miss moab SO MUCH!!! They’ve got a fossil shop there and that’s what got me interested in fossils. 
I’m pretty sure I went on the hells revenge tracksite, by that was directly before the rock shop, so I wasn’t as interested in fossils, but I still thought it was super cool.

On 11/26/2020 at 6:42 AM, Familyroadtrip said:

I miss moab SO MUCH!!! They’ve got a fossil shop there and that’s what got me interested in fossils. 
I’m pretty sure I went on the hells revenge tracksite, by that was directly before the rock shop, so I wasn’t as interested in fossils, but I still thought it was super cool.

The Moab Rock Shop is a great place.  I haven't been there since the 90's.

I would be very careful about where you dig in the Moab area.  There's national park land, BLM land, and state land all over there.  The state of Utah does not tolerate any fossil or artifact collecting where it isn't allowed and they will not take "I didn't know" as an excuse.  You might only get fined but you could get jail time.

Jess

A cool picture of the now gone monolith. Photo by Terrance Siemon. 99% of manmade objects left illegally on public lands are junk. The monolith?

0DF2D90A-5424-423C-B947-76803E5AE38B.thumb.jpeg.63aa8617a4ad787b470b2d7dd774d695.jpeg

I predict local Utah tourist shops will sell miniature monolith replicas so you can take them with you and photograph them at scenic four corner localities.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Checking out those dino footprints is definitely worth the drive. It's something else! 

At least 7 monoliths have been found around the world surpassing the three found in 2001: A Space Odyessey.

Pet Rocks, Clackers and Beany Babies, are personal-sized monoliths next?

https://news.yahoo.com/california-men-reveal-installed-3rd-212136689.html

Lots of people went to see the monument in Utah.  Curious people apparently trashed the area pretty badly, from driving off road to just plain littering.  Something to keep in mind... be a responsible visitor wherever you go. 

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, jpc said:

Lots of people went to see the monument in Utah.  Curious people apparently trashed the area pretty badly, from driving off road to just plain littering.  Something to keep in mind... be a responsible visitor wherever you go. 

Take your trash out folks. Rock hammers make great holes if you have to burry something. There is no need for TP all over the place.