Morrison Fm.: Neural arch, supraoccipital or something else?

sander

Dear Fossil forum members,

I have recently acquired this bone.

It is said to have been found at Mack, Colorado. I suppose it is from the Morrison Formation.

The previous owner thought it might be a Stegosaurus neural arch, but now I have it in my hands I see more similarities with a supraoccipital.

Especially these: (Eolambia, A and C)

Eolambia_supraoccipital.png

https://peerj.com/articles/1872/

(Fig. 12, A. Eotrachodon)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-41325-8

(Fig. 2, Q, R, S, T and their other sides, unknown hadosaurs)

seem similar to me.

That would indicate that my bone is probably Camptosaurus dispar, which is the closest animal to hadrosaurs to live in the Morrison Formation.

However, I have not found a good comparison with Camptosaurus, nor any other Morrison Formation dinosaur.

In comparison with the supraoccipitals shown above, mine is more than twice the size. Mine is about 12cm, while the other ones I found are 4 to 6 cm according to their scale bars.

Is this bone a bit similar in every dinosaur or do I have a really large specimen of Camptosaurus in front of me?

I hope someone can help me with this,

Thank you very much in advance for your answer,

Kind regards,

Sander

CIMG5821.JPG

CIMG5823.JPG

CIMG5824.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

interesting bone.  It could certainly use a good dose of air abrasive.  I can compare it to the Camptosaurus skull we have at work.  Initial reaction is that it is too big to be a Camptosaurus basioccipital. PM sent.  

Dear Members of the fossilforum,

I was wondering if someone else might know to which animal this supraocciptal could have belonged?

Apparently it is too big to be Camptosaurus, but I have not yet been able to find good specimens of the other Morrison Fm. dinosaurs.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers,

Kind regards,

Sander

Not a lot to go on. Looks like the lateral process area above the centrum.  Have you compared it to the verts in this Stego paper but looks to beefy for one.  Might be associated with a Sauropod.  You might want to to contact Ken Carpenter not sure if he's already retired but he's knows the Morisson ... 

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0138352

Hi Troodon, 
Thank you for your answer!

I have compared it indeed and it must be a supraoccipital, it just does not fit in any stego vertebra and is much more similar to the supraoccipital bones I showed as a reference above.

I will contact Ken Carpenter, I have a few books of him, I think he can help me indeed.

Kind regards,

Sander

@Troodon don't write a clicable email on a forum ! It will be capted by spammers !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg