Amazing Pertified Creatures

Garish Paleon

I found these petrified specimens on private land in the northwest part of San Antonio, Texas over the last 10 months. I did little, if any digging, as recent rain has exposed them. I'm here to learn about the science, as well as what I have in my possession. They are beautiful creatures whom appear to have been frozen in time. What exactly are they and how did they end up in this state of condition. I'm excited to hear you responses as I am new to this "world of fossils" but a willing participant.  Thanks for letting me take part. 

20201125_103836.jpg

20201118_145340.jpg

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.:)

Sorry, I see only rocks. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I think upon further inspection you will come to see what it is. Thank you for your response. It is a dinosaur head but what kind. It has two eye sockets. Two nostrils. One each on each side of the bridge of the nose. A mouth that runs down on side, around the front, and teeth are aparent as well.

TOPICS MERGED.

These are all rocks, as stated.  I am seeing weathered limestone.

There is no bilateral symmetry to your items.

There is no bone texture to any of your items. 

You say you are new to Fossil collecting. We are not.

We know what fossils should look like, and what they DON'T look like. 

Unfortunately, your items do NOT look like fossils, to us. 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Texas limestone has an amazing ability to weather into all kinds of interesting shapes, such as your finds. All of us Texans have been tricked multiple times by Mother Nature thinking we had found something REALLY interesting, (I thought i had found a GIANT crab claw one time!) but that weathered limestone can look like all kinds of things, especially skulls or heads with "eye sockets" which are really just water weathered holes in porous limestone. As mentioned above, real fossils will have bilateral symmetry and smoother surfaces. 

• I found this Informative 1

Unfortunately you are wrong. The dinosaur head clearly has semetry. It is distorted from the many years of pressure applied. It has nostrils on either side. A mouth with teeth. I'll post the other side of the dinosaur for your expert evaluation. What is term for someone who can't see what something is? Wow I'm surprised that the trained eye can't see. Quick to judge. Often those who think they are the smartest in the room turn out to be the most ignorant.  Case in point 

20201117_195539~2.jpg

20201117_195513~3.jpg

• Fossildude19 locked this topic

Your rocks are simply rocks and not dinosaur skulls. Dinosaur skulls are quite rare finds and you have to ask yourself what the odds are of you digging up several dinosaur skulls in a row versus the odds of you pulling up several examples of limestone rock.

Paleontologists can spend months looking for an intact dinosaur skull and if they do eventually find it it is usually solidly locked in matrix (otherwise it would generally disarticulate into fragments). The odds of you finding a dinosaur head that is free and complete of matrix are very very near 0%--it just doesn't happen that way. Coming to this forum seeking confirmation for your mistaken thoughts of what dinosaur heads would look like is not a problem but calling us all 'ignorant' for not seeing what you believe you are seeing is a problem. You need to realize that we have a great number of members here with many years more experience with fossils (including professional paleontologists who work with dinosaurs on a daily basis). You also need to realize that the mind has a great capacity for seeing patterns and this ability is called pareidolia. It is what allows us to imagine seeing shapes in clouds or faces in rock profiles. It is a side effect of our advanced pattern matching circuitry in our complex brains and can sometimes allow us to see bunny rabbits or dragons in clouds or in your case skulls where they are not. Faces (and heads) are very commonly seen as our pattern matching abilities are highly tuned to spotting faces--it's helped us detect prey items or recognize friend from foe at a distance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Please read-up on this topic and understand that your pareidolia instincts are clouding your judgement on what you are seeing. We run a civil forum here free from the nastiness that saturates most of social media. We discuss fossils and try to spread knowledge--and we do it politely without name calling. Please be respectful.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 5

Topic is now locked. New members are not allowed to abuse the established membership.  :shakehead:

We ask that the OP take his items to the nearest museum or university paleontology department to have them looked at in hand.

We wish the OP the best of luck identifying his rocks.  ;)

• I found this Informative 6

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015