Jackson g

Hello, I found this yesterday while out searching for crinoids. It's a piece of chert with some weird cylinder shaped thing on the right, and it has a groove that runs through the center. Over a year back I found the exact same thing, except that one was much longer being probably over a foot long in length and again ontop a slab of chert. The one i found yesterday was around 4 to 5 inches I would guesstimate. I've done a lot of fossil searching, and this is only the second time I've ran into whatever this is. Is it even a fossil? Reluctantly, I didn't take either one home on either occasion due to my lack of knowledge on the piece. Would welcome any guess, thanks!

20201126_124303.jpg

20201126_124318.jpg

a location will help greatly with ID.  There are so many geological eras and many different types of fossils in different eras. Knowing where you found it will help determine what you have found.

32 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

a location will help greatly with ID

He typically hunts the Burlington, Mississippian but will wait for his response. 

Actually his heading says Burlington.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Planko said:

OMHI I think you have the back of an ammonite on the right. 

Some sort of nautiloid or ammonite did cross my mind, but I'm definitely not familiar with them! I'm not certain they are even in the Burlington rocks I hunt either.

57 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

a location will help greatly with ID.  There are so many geological eras and many different types of fossils in different eras. Knowing where you found it will help determine what you have found.

I have the area, formation, and state providence in the tags already listed for that purpose.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Hipockets said:

Looks sort of like the internal cast of a rudist,  Radiolite ?

Definitely is an internal cast. Can rudists grow up to a foot in length? I haven't come across any rudist information yet in the Burlington Formation.

I dont know much about rudists and anything about the Burlington Form. but I posted back in May ( " What is This " ) and your specimen looks very similar to mine. Mine has since been identified as an internal cast of a rudist by Al Dente and confirmed by George Phillips at MMNS and is being donated to the NCMNS .  

6 hours ago, Jackson g said:

Can rudists grow up to a foot in length?

Some were up to a meter.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!