My Fossil Cornucopia

mikeymig

A large, well preserved, fossil Lightning Whelk (Sinistrofulgur roseae, Belle Glade Member of the Bermont Formation, 800,000 years old) that I dug up recently 11/16/2020 in Florida full of bivalve shells (Chione elevata). The bleached spot on the back of this large (185mm) whelk is the only part of the shell that was protruding from the ground. I cleaned the sand away from the clam shells with a toothpick and small brush then added a little glue in strategic spots.

I posted my shell on social media and received great news from Dr.Edward Petuch (Oceanographer and Paleontologist) - 

Edward J. Petuch

judging from the sculpture of large ribs and cords (as seen in the aperture shot), this whelk is actually a Sinistrofulgur roseae from the Belle Glade Member of the Bermont Formation; actually a rarely-seen shell, so a good find!---and the chiones are Chione elevata; erosa is a much older Pliocene species---these fossils are around 800,000 years old and date from the Ionian Age of the mid-Pleistocene---true S. contrarium is only found in Pliocene beds (like the Pinecrest Member of the Tamiami Formation) and looks really different from its descendant species, roseae---contrarium are the large, smooth whelks (no strong cords on the body whorl) that you see from the quarries in Sarasota----so, roseae is a much better find!

Edward J. Petuch

Of the 8 known fossil species of Sinistrofulgur in Florida (early Pliocene to late Pleistocene), S. roseae is one of the rarest species

Edward J. Petuch

Michael Mig

I was really happy to see that you found a roseae---I haven't seen any over here for years, mainly because the best digs out near Belle Glade (the stratotype locality for the Belle Glade Member) are no longer being excavated---and now you found one!----also, the little Brayfield book is really outdated now and the geology is incorrect (not much was known about this area in 1986)---the San Diego Club is selling the "Atlas of Florida Fossil Shells" for a good price----that book shows most of the Florida fossil shell fauna, but the geology isn't that great (a lot was still unknown in 1994)----for the updated geology, see if you can find a copy of "The Geology of the Everglades and Adjacent Areas" (CRC Press, 2007)---that book also has lots of fossil shells in it, including a nice photo of a roseae.

20201116_101845 (2).jpg

20201116_101926.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Prepped and stabilized. HAPPY COLLECTING

20201119_074114.jpg

20201119_074136.jpg

• I found this Informative 22

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Wonderful fossil, Mikey!

Great preservation.  :drool:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wonderful shell, and like a cherry on a cake you have plenty of bivalves in it ! Lucky man !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I'm not much of a shell person but wow! :wub:

That's a beautiful piece, I bet there was some well deserved celebration when that came out whole! 

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

@MikeR

No comment.

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Stunning!!

• I found this Informative 1

Cheers, Cheryl

“It is perhaps a more fortunate destiny to have a taste for collecting shells than to be born a millionaire.” ~RL Stevenson

That big Pleistocene shell is a real stunner, Mike. The view looking down from  above is especially impressive. Congratulations and thanks for sharing it. 

An impressive cornucopia, a symbol of abundance and whelk wealth.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I love the prep on that one!

I also have a large fossil whelk that my dad found on a ranch just north of Lake Okeechobee... it had fossil shells and barnacles in it, though not as nice as yours.

Would that be the same formation???

1 hour ago, aplomado said:

I love the prep on that one!

I also have a large fossil whelk that my dad found on a ranch just north of Lake Okeechobee... it had fossil shells and barnacles in it, though not as nice as yours.

Would that be the same formation???

Maybe, probably, more than likely. This was a relaxing prep with toothpicks and a cosmetic brush near a pool & hot tub with Rum & cokes :)  

led zeppelin