dhiggi

On 2/25/2021 at 10:43 AM, Bob Saunders said:

I have a can of dried out Never-Dull and found out it has been banned due to toxic chemicals. Here in U S A. I am keeping the can for a decoration. 

Wouldn't surprise me... These kind of products are oft much beloved and do their job well, but are frequently toxic as hell and bad for the environment... They're remnants from simpler times when less environmental concerns meant products could shamelessly be made with just the final function in mind.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I don't recall the name but the original product contains a flammable industrial solvent. It was reformulated. Mine is a dry powder now but sure worked good. 

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

I don't recall the name but the original product contains a flammable industrial solvent. It was reformulated. Mine is a dry powder now but sure worked good. 

It contains mineral spirits. It seems that California doesn't think it was a house hold cleaner. I like Mothers Mag aluminum wheel polish. 

MSDS (nevrdull.com) 

• 2 weeks later...

So this has become a bit of a lockdown project, I bought another unpolished one online and got it to a pretty good shine. 
As I have a beard and therefore can’t wear a facemask I have created a box to do the initial rough prepping in. Basically a drill with a 60 grit sanding disc to take the outer matrix off, while keeping all the dust in. Then all sanding is done with wet paper; thick rubber gloves and old clothes are a must; the black sludge is awful to clean off anything. Lots of soap is needed.

I use the following grits of paper; 80, 100, 120, 180, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 & 5000. My advice would be to spend a good amount of time with each stage, don’t skip from a rough paper to a very smooth one, as for example a 240 paper wouldn’t remove the scratches from the 100.

398F3D48-37F5-4A1D-B495-E53DB34FC5A4.jpeg

29CD979E-587F-4368-90C6-217DA1DDB1E5.jpeg

3E5BDB22-2502-444D-8335-0D82D8C206F6.jpeg

9460E0E5-DA13-4B87-8483-52794AD9A5D1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

I do love these cannonballs, matter of taste for sure....you are doing great job at these....