Florida carnivore tooth

PrehistoricWonders

Hi all,

Today I’ve got a carnivore canine from Florida that I bought about a month ago, I bought it as dire wolf, but I find that very hard to believe. I’ve got my suspicions but I wanted too ask your opinions. It is about 1 7/16” long, but would likely be in the two inch range if complete. Included is an estimated size. @PrehistoricFlorida @Harry Pristis @Shellseeker @Bone Daddy @digit. TIA

9FC5EE6B-A020-4F42-B32F-675410DE2ACC.jpeg

4F53CA3B-C4A1-4CAA-8304-31B7244AF2CB.jpeg

8C3703FE-E50A-4DEA-8777-8C646D490865.jpeg

Interesting tooth. I'll defer to those who have vastly more experience then I do with these finds (which are quite uncommon in places like the Peace River).

Cheers.

-Ken

Nice tooth!  Great color

Not positive it is Dire Wolf either but not much else it can be, it comes in about half an inch short even if you add in the missing tip.  I've compared it to my other large carnivore canines and it is not bear or cat.  The best match is Canis dirus for the shape and diagnostic features I can see.  Here is one of mine that is a good match I found in Dixie County, FL.

5fc1bc3125d2d_Canisdirus.thumb.jpg.3acd83902bd540e133390ca9d8488392.jpg

Thank you! It’s a favorite of mine!

yeah... too me, it doesn’t look at all dire wolf too me. The size is small, the shape is wrong, and it has a very prominent groove on the outer edge of the root that I don’t see on most of them. 
As for other possibilities, my thought is panther, here is a panther canine @PrehistoricFlorida has in his collection, near identical in every sense I see.

C77468BD-42B6-4B13-8FF3-AF1D1B7C86C0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Btw, awesome DW canine, I’d love too have one of that quality in my collection!