Russian Heteromorph Ammonite

Charlotte787

I was considering buying this heteromorph ammonite from an online dealer and was just wondering if it looks authentic. Any advice would be much appreciated!

ammonite 1.jpg

ammonite 2.jpg

ammonite 3.jpg

it looks quite nice to me, however i have some doubts on the inner whorls so i would need some closeups on them

however, there is a possibility that its a composite as they dont seem to quite fit

• 2 weeks later...

The ammo itself is a Lower Aptian Audouliceras from Ulyanovsk (mostly Shilovka village), replaced with siderite, a trademark of the site. No idea if it was composited. Quite possible as it adds value (hard to find a complete one, it's pure luck with surface collecting)

• I found this Informative 2

That looks like a nice one, if you can get it for a fair price & are happy with it I'd say go for it.

Well since we're on the topic of Russian Ammonites.

What's your opinion about this one I bought a while back, I can offer close up pictures if needed.

We all know Heteromorph Ammonites can be expensive, I got this one for a heck of a deal since the corner of matrix was busted. I figured that being still in matrix it should be all legit (I hoping) either way I still like it since I didn't have a Heteromorph Ammonite.

IMG_6302.jpeg

12 hours ago, Abyss said:

That looks like a nice one, if you can get it for a fair price & are happy with it I'd say go for it.

What's your opinion about this one I bought a while back, I can offer close up pictures if needed.

We all know Heteromorph Ammonites can be expensive, I got this one for a heck of a deal since the corner of matrix was busted. I figured that being still in matrix it should be all legit (I hoping) either way I still like it since I didn't have a Heteromorph Ammonite.

IMG_6302.jpeg

Yea I got it for a pretty great deal given how high some of these ammonites can go for - also got the postage pretty cheap as it weighed much less without the matrix (all the way from Russia to Northern Ireland!). Yours looks beautiful! Its my understanding from a trusted UK dealer that the heteromorphs collected from the Volga river are generally completely removed from their original matrix and then placed into a flat matrix for a more appealing look

On 10/12/2020 at 1:07 AM, Abyss said:

IMG_6302.jpeg

The reason why this has been placed in a fake matrix is the follow: russians cut the ammonite in half so they have two specular parts of the ammonite. So they put in marix to looks as if they are complete. In that way they sell two ammonites. 

Another reason is to cover composite parts that are very very common on this heteromorph ammonites