Can't Stand It!?! Yes you can!

snolly50

I think it is worthwhile to fashion or acquire stands to enhance the presentation of material for display. Why spend time and effort on a piece to have it rest unceremoniously on a shelf or be stuck in a drawer? Place it in view, if possible, for all to enjoy!

Here are photos and comments on the cobbling of two very simple stands to support Mammoth material recently received. The smaller tusk fragment is full round. The larger fragment, a half-round, is split on its long axis. The large piece was the subject of minor prep discussed in the Forum's "mailbox finds" topic.

As in previous posts about stand making, I have utilized exotic hardwoods for a weighty base. The wood for the larger piece is a blank that was intended for bowl making, via turning. The smaller stand is made from scrap that was used as filler in shipment from the exotic wood merchant. 

Here is the wood blank. It is Bubinga, an African hardwood. It had previously been finished with hand rubbed shellac. snolly's arcane scribbles of higher math may be seen in the photos, reflecting his effort to calculate points to drill.

DSC_5379acz.thumb.jpg.9ef6f79eb6f64fab2f43d3c0aa0a7189.jpg

DSC_5381acz.thumb.jpg.9771a92c4e1c9d8e19d51e6812f68e6b.jpg

For the large specimen, armatures were custom bent from 3/32 brass stock. A scrap of stiff electrical wire was used as a mock up to approximate the needed shapes.

DSC_5374acz.thumb.jpg.1c228556e21faaa6cf5a88c8782caa29.jpg 

To perform the bending snolly employed a simple jig. To establish the needed semicircular arc a piece of high-tech custom equipment was employed.

DSC_5375acz.thumb.jpg.da1797c14ab88faa1840e56f49d1d5f3.jpg

For the smaller piece, a purchased armature was bent to specification. While this was easy, the price (with shipping) will dissuade snolly from this path in the future. Here are the finished projects, artfully posing in Palatial snolly Manor.

DSC_5386acz.thumb.jpg.1f39598066afd281bfd2d2bf0159c6eb.jpg

DSC_5385acz.thumb.jpg.098f40b9a8a0c89e73362c69e3eee8b7.jpg

Here are a couple more views as the fossils await their final display positions among their peers. It is hoped this provides a clear view of the simple designs. 

DSC_5391acz.thumb.jpg.a20cad2ab06b6ce4d65c160eb74a70df.jpg

DSC_5393acz.thumb.jpg.29ea0b442ff0358f055b790059f4e0fe.jpg

Make some stands it's fun and I think it will enhance your displays and enjoyment.

• I found this Informative 23

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Very nice indeed, those are super, but, alas, I would probably chop off a couple of fingers and sever a major artery if I should ever attempt such an operation. 

Love that wood.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

snolly neglected to show the reverse of the instillations. In this image, you will note the bend applied to the upright of the armature supporting the smaller piece. This allows the fossil to be viewed in a position slightly out of vertical, for a more appealing presentation. The armatures supporting the larger fossil are "flat" at the rear to correspond with the relatively straight surface there; as opposed to the curvature of the display side. After taking the photo, snolly realized he had foolishly neglected to remove a shred of blue painter's tape that had been employed to mark the site of a bend. Apologies for the dreadful flash photography throughout this post. It's rainy here. 

DSC_5396acz.thumb.jpg.c2f8fc3f2cec6dffb4f99ca24e47ca64.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The tusks and the wood compliment each other beautifully. A display to rightfully be proud of. Thanks for sharing your technique, and for the encouragement to try something similar.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

• 1 month later...

Very nice Snolly! I need to get into making stands. I have a lot of wood lying around, just need a piece of that high tech bending equipment. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)