Four hours in Punta Gorda - shark teeth?

Wendy Langeland

Hi!  I am new to this site and would appreciate some advice on the Punta Gorda area.  We will have about 4 hours there before heading to our vacation rental.  The rest of my family wants to relax by the hotel pool, but I want to see if I can look for some shark teeth! We will be close to Shell Creek, but won't have access to a boat or kayak.  Is it worth it (or even possible) for me to walk a stretch of creek shoreline in search for sharks' teeth?

I am a rookie collector that has been casually combing the beaches of Venice and Manasota Key for teeth over the years.  I don't have a smidgen of the knowledge that many of you do on this site, but I do have the enthusiasm!  Thanks for any insight you can provide!

I was just in Florida (Bradenton) last week and can tell you the river levels are still quite high. My suggestion is to look at construction sites instead. Pic sites that have dugong ribs and it will likely provide sharks teeth for you. 

Good tip!  I have never looked at an excavation site before.  Let me ask, how do you do that?  Drive around until you see something and then ask permission to look through the dirt?  Sounds adventurous!!!