Early permian tracks and trails

Bradley Flynn

Went for a bush walk today and found some beautiful track ways. These tracks and trails are part of the early permian, Ecca group, prince Albert formation. I don't really pay much attention to tracks, but these where just out of this world (for me atleast) and was definitely the find of this extremely hot day. 

These pictures do not do these fossils justice... Zoom in and enjoy. 

IMG_20201129_170858.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

I see some of the quality has been lost on some pictures, maybe the black and white shows better. 

IMG_20201129_173616.jpg

IMG_20201129_173502.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

I wasn't aware of any tetrapod tracks or fossils from the Ecca aside from mesosaurids. Are local workers aware of these trackways?

Looking closely, I think the majority of these trackways may be arthropod and not tetrapod. I wonder if these belong to eurypterids.

7 hours ago, jdp said:

I wasn't aware of any tetrapod tracks or fossils from the Ecca aside from mesosaurids. Are local workers aware of these trackways?

The tracks are from an unknown arthropod species, could be eurypterids, the the drag marks where left by fish. These trace fossils are in the Prince Albert fm which forms part of the Ecca basin and is below the Whitehill mesosaurid layers. 

• I found this Informative 1

Here are some trackways from the same formation in a different area. I think these have been exposed to the elements much longer than the trace fossils above and are not as clear. 

IMG_20201201_081447.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020/12/05 at 8:46 PM, HemiHunter said:

super cool!

On 2020/12/07 at 1:48 AM, Planko said:

Extremely super cool!

:dinothumb: