grg1109

I've come across these two fossils...not sure what to make of the "cigar shaped" one(1 5/8" X 5/8")...not a clue where to look for an ID.  The second one..."snail shaped"( 5/8")... I guess I should start under "Gastropods".

Thanks

Greg

cigar shape.jpg

cigar shape close up.jpg

snail.jpg

snail close up.jpg

Where were they found?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

In Central New York...Cortland County...Tully Limestone...Middle Devonian.  Cool Trilobite for your Avatar!!

Greg

Hi,

I am quite sure I see Lobenlinien (sutures?) in the second one, which would make it an Ammonite (or cephalopod at least).

Is there an english word for the lines dividing the chambers of an ammonite?

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

6 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi,

I am quite sure I see Lobenlinien (sutures?) in the second one, which would make it an Ammonite (or cephalopod at least).

Best Regards,

J

Are there any devonian ammonites with that shape?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

31 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

I believe it’s septum. I could be wrong.

• I found this Informative 1

No idea. Or Goniatites?

I have to admit, what looks suture-like in the smaller, darker picture is not visible in the brighter one.

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

56 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

here any devonian ammonites with that shape?

There is one that I can find Truylosoceras bicostatum.  It says: "Shell depressed-spheridal when young, becoming discoidal when older; 3 or more gradually expanding whorls.  Sides convex; periphery rounded.  Umbilicus small, rounded; transverse section semielliptical or semicircular.  To 45mm D.

But, I am new to all of this and when I think I figure it out...I'm wrong.  I have it out of the host rock...but, it is still rough.  I do see a roundness to the left(my left) bottom side...almost like the side of a donut.

I don't think I see any septa...Also, I only see one whorl...beginning in the center and does have a wide ending.  But, then could this be a juvinial....since it is so small.  The one recorded is approx. 1 5/8" wide.  However having said all of this.  The one in the photo in my book sure looks like this.

I think the light spot in the center show a part of it that may be missing...I'm not sure.

Greg

The first one does look like an orthocone nautiloid although it is a little hard to tell. More pictures might help.

As for the second one, the sutures (the dividing lines that separate the septa, or chambers) are rather simple in nautiloids and more complex in gonatitic shells. I believe the more complex patterns that resemble more complex sutures is weathering but I think I see a distinct suture in between the red lines. The color change to the right of the lines might also show a suture where it is more worn.  In short I'd check nautiloids reported from the age and formations.

5fc3d4f94a255_snailcloseup.jpg.578a4aaa6826560cfac254dc7fa18eb0.thumb.jpg.b658326cb363b6cb6527177e1972d190.jpg

This excerpt from Kirchgasser, W. 2013. On The Trail Of Devonian Goniatite Cephalopods in New York State. Mid-American Paleontological Society Digest. 36 might help narrow the field.

"The Tully Limestone (Formation), named for exposures around the village of Tully, south of Syracuse, in Onondaga County, is the last major limestone layer in the New York Devonian. Its shelly fauna of corals and brachiopods and many other groups records another global-scale event (known as the “Taghanic Event”) in which earlier fossil associations (the Hamilton Group faunas) were replaced. This turnover is again associated with a worldwide rise in sea level, which in New York begins in the upper Tully and continues in the overlying black Geneseo Shale. In the transition, the goniatites nearly became extinct worldwide (Tornoceras survived!)."

While apparently the Hamilton Group is well studied it is more difficult to find reliable information on the Tully Formation and because of the Taghanic event the fauna assemblage between the two will be remarkably different.

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m waiting to see where this goes, I’ve been finding the same things (some kind of conical nautiloid and some kind of ammonite, I think at least) in a formation around the same age as yours out in WV