Skull fossil found in Fort Greene Park Brooklyn New York

Ja_lieb

Hello all:

Attached is a picture of what I believe is a fossilized skull that I found sitting in the grass on top of the soil in Fort Greene Park, located in Brooklyn, New York City  (in the area known of Brooklyn known as Fort Greene).

The fossil is approximately  1 and 1/2 inches long. 

I struggled to decide which photos to add. What you cannot see in the attached photos is the other side of the fossil, which preserved quite distinctly nasal cavities. 

I'm a lawyer, and I do not have any background in paleontology, though I did take geology 101 in college, and I've since never stopped searching for cool rocks. 

This, I think, ranks as one of the coolest.  

It looks more reptilian to me from the front, but from the other side, which you cant see in the picture, and is essentially the inside of the skull, it sort of resembles a bird. I do understand birds evolved from reptiles/ dinosaurs.  This fossil strikes me as belonging to something in between. 

Please help me ID this fossil. 

Your time and expertise are greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Regards,

Jordan Lieber.

fort_green_fossil_pic2.jpg

20201129_173952.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.  :)

You can add more photos via the reply button below.

Unfortunately, this is not a skull, of any type.

It looks like a piece of chert, to me.

Definitely geologic rather than biologic in nature.

Keep looking, though.

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Fossildude, perhaps you are correct, I appreciate your time and expertise.  But, when i examine this specimen closely, I cannot but help believe you are incorrect. Attached is a picture of the other side of the specimen. It looks to have navel cavities. 

20201129_173007.jpg

Welcome to the forum! I’m sorry to say that I believe fossildude19 is correct. It looks like chert to me as well. There is no bone texture or symmetry that would be apparent on a skull. 

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah, sorry, but it looks to be geologic in origin. It would be more symmetrical if it were a skull.

Sorry that isn't a skull. The geology of Fort Greene- for that matter all of Brooklyn is wrong for fossil material though I have heard of fossil material very occasionally washing up onto the beach at Coney Island. There are however a few good fossil collecting sites nearby in New Jersey that are worth exploring. PM if you would like more information about those. 

I agree 100% with the others. What you have there is a rock whose outward appearance give the impression that it might be a deformed skull. It's a cool looking rock, but that's all it is. We do have a background in paleontology and geology here, so we know what we're talking about.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I’m sorry but it is just a stone. There’s no bone material here at all. Here is an example of a skull I’m currently working on. Notice the bone structure? The symmetry of the piece? The difference between the bone and the matrix it is buried in? These are some of what you need to be looking for.

CF6D759F-B425-42FB-A3B6-55E5160167D0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

No bone texture, no trace of bilateral symmetry, and no actual skull morphology, lead me to the fact that this isn't a skull, unfortunately. :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

ok. I accept the weight of authority. 

You all seem to be unanimous.  I appreciate your time and expertise. 

It is great that you were at least willing to entertain me. 

Thank you!

Regards,

Jordan

• I found this Informative 3

I am even not sure this is a rock. The various impressions seem unnatural to me. Maybe some kind of hardened putty etc?
Franz Bernhard

Advanced member, It does almost seem to have come from a impression or mold but if you were holding this specimen in your hands you could tell that it was neither. 

There seem to me to be clear impressions.  Both the eye shape and the circular impression, along with the shape of the neck, and the shape of the back of what looks like a head. The whole shape of the specimen just screams 'im a head'. But I could just be seeing what I want to see. 

20201130_082034.jpg

20201130_082106.jpg

Good pics now, indeed.
Now I am also in the chert nodule camp!

41 minutes ago, Ja_lieb said:

But I could just be seeing what I want to see. 

:dinothumb:

There are some similar specimens posted recently, for example:

Please especially note the comment of @digit.
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 2

Franz, Lab, all others:

I appreciate your thoughtful replies. This would hardly be the first time and certainly will not be the last time I see something that isn't there.  

This rock is so smooth with such straight lines and/or neat curves! Of course, I accept your conclusion. 

A very nice chert nodule indeed!

Thank you all very much.

It's awesome when experts are willing to share their time and knowledge. My field, law, is quite different sadly. 

Hope to be back someday. 

Cheers,

Jordan 

20201129_173910.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

2 hours ago, Ja_lieb said:

It's awesome when experts are willing to share their time and knowledge.

Thank you! That´s the way of TFF!
Franz Bernhard