Navychief

Yes, I think they're the same species.

Can't remember the genus right now, but i should know! :Confused04:

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I looked it up on MikeR site. Maybe Chicoreus floridanus. (A in the photo) But what has me confused is that its extinct. But what I found on the beach (B in the photo) looked current

I don't have any experience with the genus but Chicoreus florifer dilectus is extant. That said, B doesn't look like it is outside the possibility of being a fossil. Pliocene/Pleistocene/ shells often look completely recent.

Paging @MikeR

Hey there shipmate! Welcome aboard!

Looks like Chicoreus sp. to me. Specimen B shows quite a bit of wear and bleaching. Given the location it could be a fossil that has benn rolling around in the surf, or a closely related extant species.

I have quite a few such fossils, that one would swear are modern and vice versa. Florida is good for that sort of thing.

~Ret. FC~

Were both of these found on the beach or just B?  I pretty much agree with what everyone else is saying.  A looks like fossil Chicoreus floridanus while B is recent Chicoreus dilectus.

Mike

• I found this Informative 3

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Yes sir found B on the beach and I dug up A. Could you tell me what the difference is between the two? Thanks Mike

Here is a snippet from E. Vokes (1965) where she defined Chicoreus floridanus which explains the difference.  I'll let you look at your two specimens and see if you can spot the differences.  If you prefer, you can find the entire article online at the Tulane Studies website: https://journals.tulane.edu/tsgp/issue/view/33 and read all the gory details for yourself.

image.png.d1e707dedd851312471ad1ff697b623a.png