Please Help Identify these fossils

Sid James

I have lived on this property in  Lawrenceburg, Tennessee for over 35 years.  I have been noticing these fossils while working in a shade garden on the property.  I believe they are some form of fossilized coral.  I tried to find help in the Audubon Society Field Guide and by searching on line, but did not find anything that completely matched my samples.  I have selected several pieces that I hope my help identify the fossils.  The pieces I have found are usually 1-1 1/2" inches in diameter, and somewhat spherical.  Many of the colonies are shaped like a 5 pointed star and appear in somewhat parallel rows.  I have found only one example that has geodized.  Please excuse my ignorance that prevents me from entering a more specific description.  I hope the photographs will help.

IMG_9585.JPG

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Hard to see any clearly fossil-related features. But I think I can see a large five-sided star in the left one. But this could also be a random pattern.

However, there are also some smaller structures that may point to somewhat poorly preserved fossils. Not sure, though.

Many local members here on TFF, please wait for more opinions.

Franz Bernhard

I think they may be crinoid calyxes. 

Nice finds and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco. :)

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

They appear to be crinoid calyxes to me. I've circled a couple distinct ones I see.

IMG_9585.JPG.582b197f6abcf4e4f5bc8f4078000fb0.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

They appear to be crinoid calyxes to me. I've circled a couple distinct ones I see.

The whole things are the calyxes, the bits you have circled are where the calyx was attaches to the stem. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

30 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The whole things are the calyxes, the bits you have circled are where the calyx was attaches to the stem. 

Now that you point that out I can see the extensions of the calyx. I only saw the basal plates the first time.

• I found this Informative 1

Just wondering... Would it not be logical to find other evidence of crinoids, such as stem sections, if they are indeed crinoid clayxes?  I've never seen other evidence of crinoids.

I like your inquisitive mind! For what it is worth, I have never found a calyx without the surrounding matrix having crinoid bits. 

Mike

7 hours ago, Sid James said:

Would it not be logical to find other evidence of crinoids, such as stem sections, if they are indeed crinoid clayxes?

Indeed it is!

Would you like to post some more pictures of the supposed crinoid calyxes? Maybe an overall pic of some specimens, and some detailed pics. And maybe one pic showing the five-fold symmetry of the specimens. The preservation seems not to be the best(or there is still some matrix attached to it), so more pics may help to nail it really down.

You gave a detailed address, so local member may be able to pin down the formation they come from.

Many thanks!
Franz Bernhard

This show holes in a circle.  It also has parallel holes but it does not show up very good in the pic.

IMG_9598.JPG

32 minutes ago, Sid James said:

This example shows the five pointed star in the lower right hand corner.

IMG_9600.JPG

I find it hard to make out any details personally in the black and white photos. Could you reupload colored detailed photographs? It could also help taking good photos from different angles (top view, side views, bottom view) with good lighting and labeling which are which(especially in black and white photos). I'm only 50% convinced that these are pseudomorph calyxs, just not enough details in the photos for me here. I've personally never found a calyx without many crinoidal bits surround the matrix as well, but what you may have are geodized pseudomorph "calyxs" so that would make sense why you didn't find any crinoid columnals. A Mod might move this to a more appropriate category, like fossil ID?

1 hour ago, Jackson g said:

I find it hard to make out any details personally in the black and white photos. Could you reupload colored detailed photographs?

Agreed especially with a specimen of similar color and texture

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I am having a problem entering the pics in color and get within the 3.95 mb limit.  Suggestions, please.

57 minutes ago, Sid James said:

I am having a problem entering the pics in color and get within the 3.95 mb limit.  Suggestions, please.

Resize the pics. Easy method: open the picture and use the snipping tool to make a jpeg copy. 

19 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Resize the pics. Easy method: open the picture and use the snipping tool to make a jpeg copy. 

@Sid James I would recommend what @LabRatKing has suggested. I always just take photos on my phone, then go to my gallery, and finally go to the edit (pencil icon) option. Takes 5 seconds to go from a normal, larger sized photograph to one that fits the size on thefossilforum.com. It's pretty much the same method. I do use an Android phone though, so not sure how iPhone works out.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:09 PM, Sid James said:

Another view.

IMG_9592.JPG

Looks very promising as a geode, at least similar to Mississippian ones I have come across. I don't really see any 5 fold symmetry on the piece, though the pic I quoted does intrigue me. In any matter, during the silicification process most of the diagnostic details could and probably would have been lost. The silicification process also can bust up the calyx, inflate them, coat them in crystal, and really change the overall appearance. I've got some coral that are silicified and they are just drop dead gorgeous with all the coats of crystal growth. Anyway, crinoid calyxs have plates (basal, radial, infrabasal). The sutures (where these plates meet) provide an easy access for crystals to grow. I can't say for certain if this is a calyx or not. Lack of details. Again not to sound rude, but clear (lateral, ventral, and dorsal viewpoints), focused photographs, and labeling viewpoints/ which piece is which (is this one of the rocks shown, or multiple?) would really help in this circumstance.