Amphibiousness in the Devonian fish Laccognathus

Misha

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased some fossil teeth from the sarcopterygian Laccognathus from Latvia,

As a result, I have been trying to learn more about the animal and its ecosystem but one thing has stood out to me.

Wikipedia states that this fish may have been amphibious, the problem is that the article is rather short and does not state what traits of the fish can lead to such conclusion.

I have tried looking for this in other articles and papers but so far have found nothing.

Does anyone know where I could go to read about this or if the claim actually has any evidence behind it?

Thank you very much

Misha, 

I think the problem lies in the fact that it is Wikipedia referring to this. 

Wikipedia isn't always correct about these things. 

I would check the sources quoted, and take everything written on Wikipedia with a grain of salt. :) 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

55 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Misha, 

I think the problem lies in the fact that it is Wikipedia referring to this. 

Wikipedia isn't always correct about these things. 

I would check the sources quoted, and take everything written on Wikipedia with a grain of salt. :) 

Yes I do realize that, that is why I noted that the claim may not actually have any evidence behind it.

I have tried looking through the sources but so far, nothing about the fish being amphibious.

It just seemed like quite the extraordinary claim to make (in multiple articles) without any evidence and I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

But thank you for the suggestions!

Wikipedia is an excellent resource.  Always corroborate with the peer reviewed literature.

This paper includes Laccognathus with the stem-tetrapods:

Witzmann, F. 2009. Comparative histology of sculptured dermal bones in basal tetrapods, and the implications for the soft tissue dermis. Palaeodiversity, 2:233-270  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

21 minutes ago, piranha said:

Wikipedia is an excellent resource.  Always corroborate with the peer reviewed literature.

Witzmann, F. 2009. Comparative histology of sculptured dermal bones in basal tetrapods, and the implications for the soft tissue dermis. Palaeodiversity, 2:233-270  PDF LINK

I always told my students that Wikipedia is a starting point but the academic journals are where they will find peer reviewed articles that they may use in their research papers. 

35 minutes ago, piranha said:

Very interesting, I seem to have missed that.

Thank you!