Hunting in Oklahoma

jeannie55

A former student once told me that he hunted for fossils on the Grand River in Ok.  He graduated, went to law school, and all I could remember was Grand River and fossils. My son and I were due to take my grandchildren to Coffeyville, KS to meet their mother for her holiday visitation and I thought of the Grand River. I asked and my fellow forum members listened and Grandpa pointed me in the right direction and he was right about the fossil rich area. A big thanks Grandpa! 

We left early so we could stop and do a little dirt kicking, but it had started raining and I am on strict orders to stay away from crowds, unmasked people, and cold, wet weather. The good news is yesterday, we left early to meet my ex-daughter-in-law again in Coffeyville, KS. The weather was nice, so we stopped at the Grand River to kick up a little dirt, which was really mud, black mud and we hit pay dirt. Walking from the truck to the river, I found an almost perfect trilobite and it only got better. I have fossils that I am going to be doing research on for a while, well after I cleanthe black dirt off. I have hunted in red clay for so long that I thought the river bank was oozing oil.  Okay, I never said I was a geologists.  

As soon as I do a little cleaning, I’ll post pictures.  Now here’s another question. We arrived in Coffeyville an hour or so early and drove around. The Verdigris River has an outcropping of shale in one place that I think may be housing fossils but we could not find a road to the river where we could access the river bank. Anyone from Kansas have an idea of river access near Coffeyville?   

• I found this Informative 1

When I left hone yesterday, I left my bucket with my handy rock whacker and digging screwdriver. So I was unable to get much from the huge hale boulders. We will go back in December to meet the children’s mother again for visitation. I won’t forget my tools. 

Congratulations on your hunt! I have left behind tools at a fossil site on my way home, but not left the tools home on my way to the fossil site!:ighappy: Looking forward to seeing your finds.:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.