grg1109

This one has really got me.  I can't figure out it's orientation.  I've looked for id and the closest I can come up with is Viaphacops cristatus.  But, not "seeing it...don't know.  I think this is the correct direction...with the Trilopod looking up...but on the right side of the photo(on top of this direction) what would be it's back...the edge of the exoskeleton is convex...which doesn't make sense either, as shown in the 2nd photo.

Thanks

Greg

20201130_163311 (2).jpg

20201130_135924 (2) 1.jpg

Cool trilo eye, haven’t seen a trilobite like this before :popcorn:

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

The orientation in the second photo shows this with the glabella facing dorsal side up. The glabella is effaced. Without formation/age, and without a lens/file count, I can't really say for certain which of the phacopidae this would be. If it is lower Devonian in NY, the two similar taxa are Viaphacops bombifrons and Burtonops cristata (at least according to the most recent research I have). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

image.png.77e244399c834ebdaf5f2e117f4ca051.pngimage.png.668dcdefca2559a67402557f048445bc.png

Images to show what Kane said, this is a random trilobite, phacops rana to be exact, not necessarily what your trilobite is just used as a trilobite shape.

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

Seeing the tags now, I would be more confident in claiming it is an Eldredgeops rana

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

12 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

image.png.77e244399c834ebdaf5f2e117f4ca051.pngimage.png.668dcdefca2559a67402557f048445bc.png

Images to show what Kane said, this is a random trilobite, phacops rana to be exact, not necessarily what your trilobite is just used as a trilobite shape.

Really?  Wow, that looks so wrong to me...but seeing yours makes sense of it...Thanks...will look at my material again.

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

Seeing the tags now, I would be more confident in claiming it is an Eldredgeops rana

Will look it up...Thank You

Greg

23 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I think the confusion is in the lack of surface detail. To me, what you have is the INNER surface of the cephalon on the right. Is the surface of yours flat or concave? If so, my suspicions are likely correct. If it is convex, I rescind my opinion. 

Mike

It is the inside...I have the exoskeleton(in pieces) set aside.  The shape is concave.  The only thing I question is how large/high the center lobe is...compared to yours and the ones I've looked at.  The blue line in the photo shows where a slight amount of rock is showing and is stuck to the inside of the exoskeleton.  I was actually trying to retrieve a piece of Crinoid stem before I found this.  This Tully Limestone is very hard...but, these rocks I gathered the other day are extra, extra hard and are very much harder to work with than I've had in the past.

Greg

20201130_174033 (2)_LI.jpg

I apologize for being so "thick"!  My thanks for your patience.  I thought the Trilobite was facing me as in the first photo.  Here it is in the correct position of facing me.  Unfortunately where the left eye was...was my starting point for breaking the larger rock in two.

Greg

facing (2).jpg

Looks great! You did a really good job. Is the trilobite in the photo you just posted the same one as all the other pics?

I was under the impression that your first photos was a concave negative impression. That is a very cool piece

1 hour ago, Top Trilo said:

Looks great! You did a really good job. Is the trilobite in the photo you just posted the same one as all the other pics?

Thank You...yes same Trilobite.  Since I posted the last photo...I've chipped and ground a base for it.  The only thing left to do is...make a replacement left eye.  I can't stand them missing their eyes(even though it's just the cephalon) missing eyes...look to dead for me!  Should be interesting as I am no artist.

Greg

9 minutes ago, grg1109 said:

Thank You...yes same Trilobite.  Since I posted the last photo...I've chipped and ground a base for it.  The only thing left to do is...make a replacement left eye.  I can't stand them missing their eyes(even though it's just the cephalon) missing eyes...look to dead for me!  Should be interesting as I am no artist.

Greg

At least you have one eye you can model off of. Good luck :Smiling:

5 hours ago, grg1109 said:

Greg

Could you maybe make a mold of the extant eye with sculpy or some kind of oven curing clay then use that to cast a new eye? Just spitballing here I’ve never done it, but it feels like it should work and would certainly save you trying to sculpt that by hand. I’ve done a fair amount of sculpting over the years and I would have a really hard time free sculpting that

Thanks...I thought about it earlier...but think it will be backwards.  However, after spending more time trying to make the eye than I spent unearthing the cephalon...and driving myself crazy while at it.  I'm going to give it a try tomorrow.  I'm tuckered!

Greg

This has been a nightmare!!  I had to change the type of clay used for the mold...I had to change what I was using to make the eye...then the mold and the "plastic" for they eye...chemically reacted...the "plastic" takes 24 hours to cure so this has taken up a lot of time.  I finally was able to obtain a decent eye...and while cleaning up...vacuumed up the eye by mistake!! Ugh!!  I tore the vacuum bag apart, but was unable to find the eye.  So this morning I went to town and bought a silicon mold making kit.  Going to try it one more time before I make a "eye patch" for it...lol.

Greg

Good luck

Well for what it's worth...I'm done(for now). At least it has some semblance of an eye.

Greg

20201209_134346 (2).jpg

Looks good, definitely looks like an eye

Thank You very much!  To be honest...I didn't post the photo of the eye...because I'm proud of how it turned out...just wanted to show the progression.  It'll be a while before I put this much time and effort into one of these.  I really need to figure out something that will be easier to work with.  This stuff(polymer clay) was a constant back and forth of "fixing". And the 2 part liquid plastic just wasn't worth the days of waiting for it to cure.

Greg