Dinosaur Egg - Is It Real?

tdbrown75

Hello crew. I was wondering if you all might help with identification of this egg.  It was given to me as a gift, about 20 years ago. It's from Hong Kong (which makes me immediately suspicious).

I checked out the thread on how to identify a fake, but not being an expert, I really can't tell one way or another.  

Now if it were a 60s Mustang, or a vintage computer, I could for sure tell you all about it!

Hoping you brave souls might take a crack (haha) at verifying whether not it's real, and what species it might be if it were. It looks great on my hutch behind my desk regardless, so no need to be gentle.

Thank you for your time!   

IMG_1715.jpeg

IMG_1718.jpeg

IMG_1721.jpeg

IMG_1724.jpeg

IMG_1725.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum 

Looks like a real egg.  Most of these come from China.  Nice gift

Its a Dendroolithus type egg typical attributed to hadrosaurs

• I found this Informative 4

It has every appearance of an authentic dinosaur egg from China. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

It looks like an egg from Henan Province, China.  Not very well preserved.  And I presume that when you said it made you suspicious because it's from Hong Kong you mean you doubt Hong Kong has dinosaur egg rather than simply because it's bought in Hong Kong.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the input. I was telling my Wife about this post and she reminded me I had a certificate that came with the egg.  

It's from an antiquities shop in the Central District of Hong.  Looks like they deal mostly in Chinese antiquities, but fossils and similar items also make it to Hong Kong, as many of these items are illegal to export directly from China. 

In any case I thought I'd circle back and share what I found, fun story to go along with the egg, even if not very well preserved.

Tim

11 minutes ago, tdbrown75 said:

Thank you everyone for the input. I was telling my Wife about this post and she reminded me I had a certificate that came with the egg.  

It's from an antiquities shop in the Central District of Hong.  Looks like they deal mostly in Chinese antiquities, but fossils and similar items also make it to Hong Kong, as many of these items are illegal to export directly from China. 

In any case I thought I'd circle back and share what I found, fun story to go along with the egg, even if not very well preserved.

Tim

As per Forum rules, we cannot identify sellers here. ;) I’ve removed that information. 

Also, keep in mind certificates are only worth the paper and ink used to print them as there is no international body that legitimizes fossil authenticity.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Just now, Kane said:

As per Forum rules, we cannot identify sellers here. ;) I’ve removed that information. 

Also, keep in mind certificates are only worth the paper and ink used to print them as there is no international body that legitimizes fossil authenticity.

Ah thank you Sir!  Apologies for the breach in rules, I appreciate you taking the time to correct vs. just removing the post.

I totally get the certificate thing, just some interesting information to go along with it for the next owner (after I'm gone). 

Tim

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

I don't know about that, I think we are a pretty legit, international body that just authenticated a Chinese egg fossil:P

Just now, Scylla said:

I don't know about that, I think we are a pretty legit, international body that just authenticated a Chinese egg fossil:P

And without the printer cost. :D 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

20 minutes ago, Kane said:

And without the printer cost. :D 

Until he has to print the forum to prove it. :default_faint:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

An upvote from me too. It looks like a good egg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

6 minutes ago, aeon.rocks said:

I agree, real and nice egg. Carefull with it, shell looks like it's gonna pop off in some places. Don't get it wet. 

Thanks for the tip!  It does seem very delicate. 

Tim