Plastic Field Collecting Case

Nimravis

I am always looking for different cases to take with me when I am collecting fossils (Non Mazon Creek). I picked this nice little, thin (2”) plastic carrying case. This case will be perfect for collecting road cuts that contain different species of fossils. I can’t wait to try this one out.

Purchased at a large box home improvement store for $5.99.

998B5C98-1C89-4A9A-8708-8BAD452B2885.thumb.jpeg.9a4810d8fc22f5a1b35b24ff43c621f6.jpeg

38239A2A-523F-4CEB-9096-FBCF0EE2A7B4.thumb.jpeg.b642a6f13f4a416215d5505dbb7ca984.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

24 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

You are going to need cases to pack all your cases in, Ralph. :P

I have been doing that already Adam.

I picked these containers up at a local thrift store for a total of $2.65. These are great for storing all types of fossils.

681C524C-20EB-46F0-8961-079323D2704C.thumb.jpeg.6694849c0961dc91f0fe4e854d87d080.jpeg

9B34CD7D-A089-4E72-8B63-66FC78CEC1DE.thumb.jpeg.683304a256512838dad0cea4c8205b11.jpeg

8F145F3D-3AC8-4377-88AA-11A341B39476.thumb.jpeg.dc92e23689d22917c50c85b50abbbffb.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

garage sales and thrift stores are our friends. I also store tiny screws and such in the flip top daily pill reminders, often at sales. usually in different colors which may hold different types of tiny fossils.  

I uses the plastic fishing boxes for all my small finds like yours and they are great.  Lightweight and easy to store and carry

On 12/3/2020 at 3:02 PM, Troodon said:

I uses the plastic fishing boxes for all my small finds like yours and they are great.  Lightweight and easy to store and carry

I was at a Goodwill that I usually hit, looking forward the Plano fishing cases, I tend to find them at this location. A man came up to me and asked what I was storing in them and I told him fossils. I then said that I always find them at this location and he replied, “You should, the plant that makes them is 5 minutes away in Plano and the have a retail store where you can get them 30% off”. I never put it together that Plano, Illinois is where the Plano Molding company was- something so simple that never lined up in my head. I might check the place out tomorrow to see what kind of cases they have.

• 2 months later...

Hey Ralph throw away all those plastic containers found the perfect item for Maxon Creek Collectors.

It's perfect 175 pockets :DOH:

EtZ38rQU0AADSsI.jpeg.34b2cad4c4bdb9e0d4de33a3e0b458c3.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

On 12/4/2020 at 6:09 PM, Nimravis said:

I was at a Goodwill that I usually hit, looking forward the Plano fishing cases, I tend to find them at this location. A man came up to me and asked what I was storing in them and I told him fossils. I then said that I always find them at this location and he replied, “You should, the plant that makes them is 5 minutes away in Plano and the have a retail store where you can get them 30% off”. I never put it together that Plano, Illinois is where the Plano Molding company was- something so simple that never lined up in my head. I might check the place out tomorrow to see what kind of cases they have.

funny... I read that as "The plant that makes the fossils is 5 minutes away"

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Hey Ralph throw away all those plastic containers found the perfect item for Maxon Creek Collectors.

It's perfect 175 pockets :DOH:

EtZ38rQU0AADSsI.jpeg.34b2cad4c4bdb9e0d4de33a3e0b458c3.jpeg

Not enough zippers...

(brownie points if you get that reference)

4 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Not enough zippers...

my eyes, my eyes! still not as bad as the double dial wrist watch that was going around. 

13 hours ago, Troodon said:

I need this - lol

On 2/6/2021 at 12:15 PM, LabRatKing said:

Not enough zippers...

Would that be a reference to The Orville by chance? ;) 

@Nimravis

I also find these plastic cases useful. The compartments in the ones I have are adjustable in size by the included dividers. I picked up a handful from the clearance rack at my local big box fishing/hunting/camping store. 

• Enjoyed 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I’m usually limited on weight by the nature of the remote sites and my backpack. I use padded bubble wrap mailers for fragile stuff and mesh bags with zippers for durable specimens.!for tiny specimens I use 50mL conical centrifuge tubes- they fit perfectly in molle loops and shotgun shell loops.

closer to home and/or a vehicle, I have an M65 style jacket with big cargo pockets too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2020 at 9:29 PM, Nimravis said:

I picked this nice little, thin (2”) plastic carrying case

That performax case looks nice, I'll have to keep a look out. I did a search and that particular big box store isn't located around me.

There is another big (biggest) box store that sells little cases named "PLASTIC BOX" (everything Mary), that has 2 rows of 5 storage spaces. It's 5.75" long, 3.5" wide, and 1.25" high. Good for the smaller specimens, and the best part is they retail for $1.00. I typically buy 5 at a time when I see them, in the craft/sewing isle.

• I Agree 1

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos