Help with fossil crab ID

T Stolberger

I'm looking for help with finding a genera from this chela/ crab claw, found in Cenozoic rock from Northwest Nelson, South Island, New Zealand. It is fairly weathered, and was originally split between two separate stones lying on the beach. A little reconstruction and preparation produced the result in the image. It was not in-situ so I am unsure which rock group it is associated with. I'm guessing it is either late Oligocene or early Miocene in age based on what I know of the area, but I could be wrong.

I'm hoping there are some crab experts out there who will know what this is straight away, unfortunately I'm not well versed in decapods and seldom find them around where I live in the North Island.

Capture.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The only thing I can think of is Trichopectarian.   Spelling?  Thats just a guess.  I found some of these crabs while hunting a place called Motunau beach.   Most of the crabs from New Zealand are the Tumidocarcinus but not found at Motunau.   You need @MB.   He's a guy who really knows the crabs.  Good luck

RB

• I found this Informative 2

On 1/12/2020 at 2:35 PM, RJB said:

The only thing I can think of is Trichopectarian.   Spelling?  Thats just a guess.  I found some of these crabs while hunting a place called Motunau beach.   Most of the crabs from New Zealand are the Tumidocarcinus but not found at Motunau.   You need @MB.   He's a guy who really knows the crabs.  Good luck

RB

Hi Ron and folks, hard to say, isolated chelae are always difficult to asign, here you have a chela of a species of Trichopeltarion, but tehy differ between species, try yourself:   image.thumb.png.c8d167ee709ff77df659c99ba66b60c4.png

• I found this Informative 2

• 1 month later...