Modern cuttlefish jaw?

Notidanodon

Hi guys, found this a while ago, I assume it is modern as it seems to be too soft to be mineralised but thought it was pretty cool anyway, found in bracklesham bay, it’s definitely some sort of cephalopod jaw so cuttlefish may be the only option

10BD7512-738C-4883-A62D-DA5ABC3240FF.jpeg 48B2EB6D-2E16-4387-AF66-6EC5FC38A128.jpeg

Definitely a ceph beak.

I would lean towards squid. This is similar in morphology and scale to the upper half of the squid we regularly have our zoology students dissect.

Is a bit big for the cuttlefish I have worked with.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, LabRatKing said:

Definitely a ceph beak.

I would lean towards squid. This is similar in morphology and scale to the upper half of the squid we regularly have our zoology students dissect.

Is a bit big for the cuttlefish I have worked with.

I wasn’t sure if we had squid In The English Channel that’s why I went with cuttlefish as I have seen them there:), thanks for your help, maybe it could be from an octopus?

Just now, will stevenson said:

I wasn’t sure if we had squid In The English Channel that’s why I went with cuttlefish as I have seen them there:), thanks for your help, maybe it could be from an octopus?

There' squid and octopus just about everywhere there is salt water. I'm no expert on cephs, but the octos I have worked with generally have wider, lest hooked beaks in my experience.

• I found this Informative 2