Tony G.

Over the past few years, I have been collecting(purchasing) various bones of the giant armadillo, Holmesina septentrionalis from the internet. 

My goal is to eventually build an entire skeleton.  Since I live in Colorado, purchasing bones is my only choice. 

Recently I purchased a left astragalus bone and decided to try and create a right astragalus with my 3d printer. 

Using my iPhone, I took about 50 pictures of the bone at various angles against a white background. 

Using Agisoft Metashape and Meshmixer software, I was able to create a 3d image of the bone. This took some trial and error. 

YouTube instructional videos were very helpful. The 3d image was then loaded into Cura software and printed on my Ender 3 Pro printer.  See image of the final painted bone.  On the left is the original bone, on the right is the new 3D printed bone.

Holmesina - Astragalus 3d print.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

That came out looking really good! :)  :tiphat:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice. Great paint job too. It looks very realistic.

I've been doing similar things myself. Scanning some of my fossils, mirroring them and then printing them to create more complete displays. I did that for a juvenile Edmontosaurus lower jaw and a Prognathodon lower jaw as well. I plan to do the same for my composite woolly rhino skeleton. But there's so much to scan and print, finding the time for it is an issue.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Hi Tony,

Great work and process!

I think my comment does not matter much, as your result is fine. But as far as my experience with agisoft goes, you do not need the white background. Background detail even helps the program to determine the position of the overlapping pictures. It should be not to chaotic though.

That is not as important if your original item has lots of contrast itself, but with a whitish bone for example agisoft could profit from background information. In that case you will only have to remove the pointcloud representing the background items before calculating the surface.

Best Regards,

J

• I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

13 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi Tony,

Great work and process!

I think my comment does not matter much, as your result is fine. But as far as my experience with agisoft goes, you do not need the white background. Background detail even helps the program to determine the position of the overlapping pictures. It should be not to chaotic though.

That is not as important if your original item has lots of contrast itself, but with a whitish bone for example agisoft could profit from background information. In that case you will only have to remove the pointcloud representing the background items before calculating the surface.

Best Regards,

J

Thank you for the info.  This was my first time using Agisoft, so I was not sure how it would work.

• 2 months later...

maybe you could print the bones you are missing in a very bright and clearly fake colour, so that when you fit the skeleton together you can slowly start exchanging them one by one for real bones. Kinda like the concept of those scratch off maps that you scratch off all the places you've been before but with bones. 

maybe you're into that kinda thing, maybe not, but i think it could be neat (:

Others have said it already, but still: nice modeling and awesome paint job. Came out looking really realistic, to the point where it's hard to tell fake from real! :tiphat:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

Ve-he-ry interesting, that's a rather impressive turnout. I look forward to where this goes, yay 3D printing! :)

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.