Platygonus Peccary or Sabre tooth cat

Caverat

Since Platygonus Peccary is the topic, a specimen I've wondered about for many years. Found in a cave in Perry County, Missouri 16 January 1977, a specimen I'd ID'ed as Platygonus compressus and it was associated with other Ice Age fossils. However, I have a replica of a 9" Sabertooth canine I helped find in another nearby cave and there are similarities.... Please tell me what you think, Peccary canine or juvenile Sabertooth canine? The hollow portion has some wax inserted for reinforcement. The light blue grid is one inch.

11016_1.jpg

Edited by Caverat
Forgot wax reinforcement and scale.
  • I found this Informative 2

Split into it's own topic, and moved to Fossil ID.

This will get more eyes on it here. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What you have there you already know, it is Platygonus (or Mylohyus) - Peccary.   If it was Smilodon you would be able to clearly see serrations and it would be much flatter.  This image is from Felidae of Rancho La Brea by Stock which shows the deciduous canines in cross section.

5fc8e514b76a0_SmilodonSabresFORL.jpg.34dad8747905802401b9223f81baa723.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Thanks for a very informative reply! Is there something similar for Peccary teeth? Mine seems to be missing part of the tip. The sabertooth canine illustration looks identical to the replica the Illinois Museum made for each of the cavers on the trip. I would have found it, as I went to the largest gravelbar in the cave stream and my fellow caver went to the smallest - where he immediately found it! We were told it was the first sabertooth fossil found in Missouri. Since, there have been others. We also have a cave with a half-mile of big cat tracks in a very hardened clay. A quarter mile in from a collapsed passage and then back out. They were mapped to determine stride, behavior, etc. There are places where it leapt across a former stream (pirated) and dug in to slide back the slope. The image has a light blue grid of one inch.

11017_1.jpg

Edited by Caverat
  • I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1