Fall Tx trip follow up

Chuck W

I said that I would send some images of the material I found on my fall pilgrimage.  But about 2 weeks later I was laid low with both COVID19 and influenza A. I just got out of the hospital yesterday after 21 days (with 8 in the ICU). But I've got a couple of questions about some material I found, including a sweet Nautiloid from the Finis shale. Stay tuned I'll  be back.

• I found this Informative 2

Sorry to hear that you were laid low for a bit. Glad you are on the mend. 

We'll be here when you are ready to upload! 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here are some photos of a very good trip.  I started at the duck creek at lake Texoma and did well with echinoids and ammonites.

Then I went to Jacksboro and turned up a good general sample of the common fauna.  But 2 specimens which I couldn't place.  One is as excellent 

nautiloid specimen which I need some input on.  The other is an almost spear-like specimen.  Not sure if it is coprolite/concretion? but the edges are sharp and

and the material is sandy and hard almost argillaceous.   Any help would be appreciated!:zzzzscratchchin:

finis nautiloid 1.jpg

finis nautiloid 2.jpg

finis unknown 1.jpg

finis unknown 2.jpg

• I found this Informative 4
  • Enjoyed 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nautiloids are awesome!  I can't help with identifications, but I just wanted to say congratulations on the finds, and I hope your recovery is going well.  Happy hunting!

I have heard that @BobWill hunted Jacksboro at one time.  My son lives in Flower Mound but finis shale is new to me. Looks like there are great fossils there. Thanks for sharing.

image.png.31421e1c0257d0e5e508786dee978d32.png

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I'm glad you had a good trip and recovery Chuck. I don't see features on the pointy specimen to declare it as anything but a concretion but it's not certain from the photos.

The nautiloid has little to help us ID besides the whorl profile which suggests either Liroceras, Neoaganide or possibly a large Schistoceras. If there is any ornamentation that didn't come through in this photo a better look at that might help.

• 2 months later...

Bob, sorry for the delay in getting back on line.  I have been working on preparing some Green River material and got caught up in it.  The naultiloid has no specific ornamentation.  After some more research it may be an Eoasianites, but I'm not sure.