Mahnmut

Hello together,

I am not entirely sure if the fossil ID section is the right place for this, but I am hoping for information on a fossil specimen, its not one I hold in hands, but a ct scan, and I think I may not post pictures because they are copyrighted.

While looking for new inspirations for my model building I took a close look at this wonderful ct scan of a Simosuchus clarki skull. A pugnosed crocodile, how sweet is that?

I wonder two things:

-how is that bilateral bone called that in many crocodiles protrudes downwards from the skullbase reaching between the mandibles?

-Could the fragile structure of the distal end of said bone hint at a juvenile animal? In recent croc skulls I have seen these bones seemed quite solid.

The species description says several specimens in a range of sizes have been found, all below one meter and considered fully grown.

on the Digimorph site there are videos showing rotation and cross-sections, the structure in question is best visible in the "roll"-vid:

http://digimorph.org/specimens/Simosuchus_clarki/

Thanks and Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks jpc,

that is the bone I am talking about.The Pterygoid/Ectopterygoid.

Now the second question is, looking at the 3d-reconstruction, does this skull look adult? Short snout and small size aside. That kind of "dissolving" ends that look as if they might have had cartilaginous ends in life I have seen in young birds skeletons, also in ct scans of juvenile recent crocs.

Any Croc-Expert out there who has an opinion on that?

Best Regards,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I noticed that, too.  I don't know the answer, but the posterior edge of the palate is also webby like the pterygoids.