Bulgaria Black Sea K/T boundary echinoid hunt

Dimitris

18 hours ago, Phevo said:

Thanks for the trip report, really interesting to see a site at the same time period but different locality and the nice finds

I have been to Stevns klint in Denmark that also exposes the K/T boundary, finds are similar but the matrix from your location seem to be more similar to what I have experienced in Germany's Campanien

A paleontologist in Denmark taught me not to apply any amount of acid to prepare echinoids. As the shell itself consists of Calcite, the acid will react with it and dissolve the finer details from the echinoid, tubercles and surface texture are lost in the process

Really like the way you have chosen to have your display

Thanks for your kind comments!

Yes, Denmark was one of the main remarks for comparison when Byala was studied. 

50-70km south of Byala is another place with calcite fossils. I can state that they are the most awful to prepare. 

You can use some weak acidic solutions but with extreme caution. 

The chemo process I used will make no harm if used properly but you still need to watch out for cracks developed due to the exothermal reaction of the KOH.

Its time consuming but other than that easy.

16 hours ago, RuMert said:

Nice presentation, look like a museum:Smiling:

Thanks, that was my initial intention.

Plus, looking over it, gives me a sense of being there.

8 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

What a unique and impressive display!

Don

Thanks Don!

That is my most detailed collection so I tried to use a lot of creativity.

I regret I did not buy a stock photo of high resolution or did not take a good one on the spot.

Can be solved though, since its not the only place in Bulgaria with nice echies 

5 hours ago, jpc said:

... AND great display.

I plan to finish the species identification the next two months so I can lend it to a local fossil show.

As a friend says, fossils without sufficient information are just souvenirs.

Plus, some good pics of these species would help the forum's database.

Glad I found this thread again and caught up. 

Some beautiful echinoids there, Dimitris, my friend and what a brilliant and novel way of displaying them. 

Nice work. :SlapHands:

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 1/20/2023 at 7:27 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Glad I found this thread again and caught up. 

Some beautiful echinoids there, Dimitris, my friend and what a brilliant and novel way of displaying them. 

Nice work. :SlapHands:

Thank you Adam!

The post won't rise up until I identify the echinoids. I also want to find a more decent ammonite from this place to consider the whole project done.

• Enjoyed 1