Black cobble found in river

Drivertyler

I've reached out to the state geological survey and a couple gem clubs without luck but need help in identifying this rock. Any help would be great.  The rock is much lighter than it looks and seems to be fairly fragile.  

20201205_130523.jpg

20201205_130512.jpg

It is a little hard to tell from the pictures but it is as fragile and light as you say my guess is coal.

• I found this Informative 5

It does resemble water-worn coal. Try chipping off a small piece and test if burning turns it to ash.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I wouldn't call it an unusual find. In areas that have been coal mined in the past I often find chunks of coal in the rivers up to the size of a 5 gallon bucket. Sometimes there's enough distinct plant material to make me save a piece.

• I found this Informative 2

13 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I wouldn't call it an unusual find. In areas that have been coal mined in the past I often find chunks of coal in the rivers up to the size of a 5 gallon bucket. Sometimes there's enough distinct plant material to make me save a piece.

I appreciate the input.  All the time i spend on the river and I have never found anything like this.  

7 hours ago, Drivertyler said:

I appreciate the input.  All the time i spend on the river and I have never found anything like this.  

Coal is a common material, so you can crack it open with little concern. There may be a plant, or very rarely an insect or other fossil organism inside. But most of the time there's nothing. There are exceptions in certain areas and strata, but usually it's zip.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

18 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Coal is a common material, so you can crack it open with little concern. There may be a plant, or very rarely an insect or other fossil organism inside. But most of the time there's nothing. There are exceptions in certain areas and strata, but usually it's zip.

Thank you!