Coprolite?

XXFOSSILKINGXX

Found this in the Morrison formation near the Henry mountains UT. It is obviously silicified and has inclusions of different looking rock inside of it. One side is flat and it seems like it could be a coprolite

Hi,

@XXFOSSILKINGXX

You should have opened your own ID request post.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Topic split out to it's own Topic. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for tagging me in, Ken. Coprolites from the Morrison are really tough to verify. This is primarily due to the fossilization process. First let me say, these look more like coprolites than most I see from that area. That said, without identifiable inclusions or chemical analysis it is nearly impossible to know for sure. One thing you might want to try is putting a couple drops of vinegar on them to see if they fizz. While this won't tell you anything definitive, it will reveal if calcium is present. Herbivore coprolites are often calcareous. Similarly, carnivore coprolites usually contain a lot of calcium phosphate (also one of the predominant minerals found in bone).

There could be inclusions in this area, but it is hard to tell from photos. The overall shape looks similar to what I'd expect to see in a carnivore coprolite.

Possible-Morrison-Carnivore-Coprolite.jpg