Tooth? Plant bulb?

Jeromes

I found this fossil in Thousand Oaks, Ventura County, California, USA. It was partially uncovered in soil located near the lowest point in a small canyon, definitely wouldn't call it a river bottom, but more like a seasonal drainage. Loose clay soil type.

As you can see in the photos, it is a pretty substantial chunk of rock, with a smooth, enamel-like surface on the "top" that also appears to have (or previously had) protrusions like might be expected on a molar tooth. From a brief novice-level search effort, it looks somewhat similar to some mastodon molar images I was able to find online, but definitely not a confident match.

The fact that the top surface is enamel-like is the reason that I'd guess it's some kind of tooth, otherwise it also loosely resembles some plant bulbs or root structures like ginger, turmeric, fennel, etc.

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

Hi Jeromes and welcome to the forum.

Looks like a cephalopod septum to me, the wall separating different chambers in the shell of a squid-like animal.

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 8

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

45 minutes ago, Jeromes said:

The fact that the top surface is enamel-like is the reason that I'd guess it's some kind of tooth

@Mahnmut is correct. If it helps to visualize what you have here is (an ammonite) in cross-section. 

Image Credit: Voytek Klaptocz

Scanned-fragment-of-Badouxia-columbiae-Frebold-1-Lateral-view-2-Frontal-view.png.bf230398507b0a3da55dbfd3b89e55c0.png

Image Credit: https://www.bgs.ac.uk/discovering-geology/fossils-and-geological-time/ammonites/

Jurassic_ammonite.jpg.739aa0e1c17f46dd1dc7eeb8c075fb48.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 6

Thanks, Mahnmut and Brett! I'm very impressed by the forum!

I meant to say this in the original post, but the scale shown is in INCHES (2.54cm).

I'm surprised with the ID, but definitely convinced by the image you sent, Brett. Is this piece of any academic value that someone might be interested to have donated for study or collection, or is this a pretty common finding?

Ammonites are very common in some places. Not as much in others. Someone who is familiar with the area where you found it may chime in. If not take it to the nearest natural history museum or a local fossil club and they can give you more information.

P.S. -- Welcome to the forum.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

@Mahnmut is correct. If it helps to visualize what you have here is (an ammonite) in cross-section. 

Image Credit: Voytek Klaptocz

Scanned-fragment-of-Badouxia-columbiae-Frebold-1-Lateral-view-2-Frontal-view.png.bf230398507b0a3da55dbfd3b89e55c0.png

Image Credit: https://www.bgs.ac.uk/discovering-geology/fossils-and-geological-time/ammonites/

Jurassic_ammonite.jpg.739aa0e1c17f46dd1dc7eeb8c075fb48.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

Excellent, nothing to say more!

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Ive never heard of ammonites from California; so thats pretty neat to me. Usually when you hear of fossils from the Golden State you think of Miocene or younger.

17 minutes ago, JimB88 said:

Are there Mesozoic rocks in that area? Ive never heard of ammonites from California; so I'm curious.

There are some in the county he listed, both Jurassic and Cretaceous. Based on being found in Thousand Oaks it is cretaceous.

Geologic map.

GMC_750k_MapRelease_preview.jpg

Approximate location of Ventura County.

Untitled.png.7151b556e6161d32fba181037f3b4a60.png

Ammonites are often found in large numbers. I'm willing to bet that if you look around some more where you found that one you'll find more.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Depending on the preservation conditions, maybe more, or maybe just more pieces.  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, everyone. I'll probably go back and take the kids on a walk around the same spot we found this one to see if there's anything else on the surface worth investigating. 

I am blown away by the engagement on this site. Even my wife was excited by all the responses. Going to spread the word and will surely be back!