Found in landscaping rocks; Albuquerque NM, USA

BEJohnson

Hello! My daughter found this in the "xeriscaped" front yard, and we were excited to have found a fossil :) It's just landscaping stone. The area we live in has a lot of basalt/lava and sand (Petroglyph National Monument). The other side of the city is against the Sandia Mountains, mostly granite, limestone, metamorphic rock. I suppose this could have been quarried from that area...I don't know.

I'm thinking it may be coral? The image shows the largest occurrence, but there are a few other smaller versions of the same thing on the back of the rock.

Thanks for any info you may have!

-Brendan

2020-12-01_3.jpeg

2020-12-01_2.jpeg

2020-12-01_1.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

You are correct - This is a cross section through a Rugose coral. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you for your replies! This prompted us to research rugose coral, and perhaps my daughter will become a fossil hunter :) She's quite excited.

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, BEJohnson said:

my daughter will become a fossil hunter :) She's quite excited.

Great :dinothumb:

And I like your specimen, a really nice and well-preserved first fossil and a well balanced, aesthetic specimen. And good pics, too!
Franz Bernhard

a very nice find. It looks a lot like the type of railroad track ballast we have here. never heard from which state but it does often have some fossils in it. Note-abandoned R.R.'s.  

• I found this Informative 1