Looking for Brownwoodensis Urchin

thair

I have been contacted by the local historical museum which is looking for a prepared brownwoodensis urchin from the Lake Brownwood Spillway. Even though I live here I have never been able to successfully collect and prepare one of these. I told the local museum person I would try to help in the search for a suitable example.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a specimen?

Hey Tully, I do not have one, but which museum is making the request?  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If I had a second specimen, I would gladly donate. Giving up part of my permanent collection is hard to do. I would think the Brownwood Spillway would still give up part of her quarry and preparation doesn't look that tricky.

My understanding is that due to safety concerns you have to have a special permit now to collect in there, otherwise I would have visited the site when I was in Brownwood two years ago. The Museum of the Earth in Ithaca, N.Y. has one on display. They are amazing!

3 hours ago, thair said:

I have been contacted by the local historical museum which is looking for a prepared brownwoodenis urchin from the Lake Brownwood Spillway. Even though I live here I have never been able to successfully collect and prepare one of these. I told the local museum person I would try to help in the search for a suitable example.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a specimen?

Contact the Dallas Paleontological Society. I suspect several member post on the Forum.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Looking for Brownwoodensis Urchin

I was also looking for my paper by "Schneider, Sprinkle, Ryder" titled Pennsylvanian (Late Carboniferous) Echinoids from the Winchell Formation North-Central Texas. Vol 79 No 4 (Jul 2005).

I used to have a copy on my computer however that was a couple computers ago. I would like to provide the museum a copy of this paper also.

Dose anyone have a copy they would be willing to share?

10 hours ago, caterpillar said:

brownwoodensis

Corrections made. ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

54 minutes ago, thair said:

I was also looking for my paper by "Schneider, Sprinkle, Ryder" titled Pennsylvanian (Late Carboniferous) Echinoids from the Winchell Formation North-Central Texas. Vol 79 No 4 (Jul 2005).

I used to have a copy on my computer however that was a couple computers ago. I would like to provide the museum a copy of this paper also.

Dose anyone have a copy they would be willing to share?

mail-happy-smiley.gif?1292867634 check-email-smiley.gif?1292867567

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hey Tully, I will be asking members of the Paleo Society of Austin at next Tuesday's meeting.  Someone may have an unprepared specimen to donate and then the museum could pay just for the prep.  

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Tully, there is a nice looking one on online. It might be kind of expensive for the museum, but a decent price compared to what I have seen in the past.

Long time no see man. email or call me if you can't find it.

13 hours ago, MikeD said:

Hey Tully, there is a nice looking one on online. It might be kind of expensive for the museum, but a decent price compared to what I have seen in the past.

Long time no see man. email or call me if you can't find it.

Thanks Mike.

17 hours ago, erose said:

Hey Tully, I will be asking members of the Paleo Society of Austin at next Tuesday's meeting.  Someone may have an unprepared specimen to donate and then the museum could pay just for the prep.  

Thanks

Another question on the preparation. If I am able to obtain an unprepared specimen, has any of you actually prepared one of these? If so what consolidant works best on this crumbly shale?

Since it is for the museum I may try to just go collect one myself if I can get permission and that's a big if.

17 hours ago, thair said:

Another question on the preparation. If I am able to obtain an unprepared specimen, has any of you actually prepared one of these? If so what consolidant works best on this crumbly shale?

Since it is for the museum I may try to just go collect one myself if I can get permission and that's a big if.

I blasted mine with baking soda using a .030 orifice so I could work between spines.  Still, some seemed to blow out of the way.  Not fatal, as there are generally better preserved ones a little deeper in matrix.  It has been over 15 years since I found and prepped mine, but I think I stabilized edges of slabs with thick Butvar, then stabilized the other surfaces with thin Butvar.  I offloaded my extras years ago and now they are scattered around the US and Europe in museum and private hands.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

On 12/7/2020 at 7:33 PM, Jeffrey P said:

My understanding is that due to safety concerns you have to have a special permit now to collect in there, 

In the past you had to obtain a permit from the Corp of Engineers to collect in the vicinity of the Lake Brownwood spillway because of the hazardous conditions. The shale layers of the Pennsylvanian Winchell Formation are severely undercut by water and collectors trying to find the urchins. The limestone layers have large cracks in them visible on top when you walk on them; you hope that they do not fall when you are near.

See this photo of the spillway rocks from northtexasfossils website.

http://northtexasfossils.com/winchell.htm

9D87B797-CE68-49A1-AEA3-69871FF43DF7.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

They never let you in when there is even a trickle of water over the spillway.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I was unaware that ACoE allowed fossil hunting by non-professionals at all these days. Guess it varies by District?

Actually Lake Brownwood is not a Corp of engineer lake. The construction and the ownership pre-dates the Corp. lake is owned and regulated by the Brown County Water Improvement District.  But you do still have to get permission from them 

14 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

I blasted mine with baking soda using a .030 orifice so I could work between spines.  Still, some seemed to blow out of the way.  Not fatal, as there are generally better preserved ones a little deeper in matrix.  It has been over 15 years since I found and prepped mine, but I think I stabilized edges of slabs with thick Butvar, then stabilized the other surfaces with thin Butvar.  I offloaded my extras years ago and now they are scattered around the US and Europe in museum and private hands.

Thanks for the info

On 12/16/2020 at 10:07 AM, LabRatKing said:

I was unaware that ACoE allowed fossil hunting by non-professionals at all these days. Guess it varies by District?

It varies by location. A few here a few there. I know this from both Ohio and Texas. Also many of those lakes are surrounded by private property which makes it even more unclear where you can or can’t collect.. i was yelled at by a COAE ranger at a place in Texas but I was actually above the high water line on private property collecting with permission. Luckily he was in a boat and after I walked to my car he motored away. I waited a few minutes to see if someone else was gonna show up and then returned to collecting.