shark vertebrae? and what on earth??

FOSSILHUNTER71

The last photo shows bits of cidarid sea-urchin tests. 

Oh, and top left is a bit of turtle carapace bone and rib, I think. from something like a soft-shelled turtle.   

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice finds.  Not sure on most but I agree with @Tidgy's Dad about the turtle shell piece in the first photo on left and the smallest object on the bottom right of first photo looks like it may possibly be part of a ray mouth plate.  (It’s hard to tell from the photo, a close up photo would be helpful).  Cheers. 

• I found this Informative 2

Yup. The little fossil with the ridges is a myliobatid ray plate. The piece of turtle carapace is from a softshell turtle (Apalone sp.) which are still around and swimming today so that one may not be fossilized if you still have these turtles in the area. You could try the flame test by passing it over the flame of a lighter. You'll notice with the shark vert or the ray plate that you might get a slight whiff of creek water when it is heated but nothing more. If the softshell turtle bone is modern it will still have protein (collagen) in the bone matrix and will produce a rank odor like burning hair and the bone may singe a bit. If it does then you can tell it is modern (but still an interesting find).

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

Also, someone may be able to narrow down the species of shark on the vert. I myself, cannot, but I believe because of the radiating lamellae it’s from an order of sharks lamniformes which include great white, mega mouth, threshers, makos and goblin to name a few.  (Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, as I am just learning all of this as well. But have doubled checked my resources :)  Cheers.)

Thanks everyone for your time and input, I'm glad I found this site today I learned a lot!

Shannon 

I question the suggested ID for the item at the lower right of the top photo. 

@FOSSILHUNTER71 can you take a clear photo?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

One of the specimens in the first picture looks like a Native American tool. I'm wondering what's on the left side: a horn coral or a rudist? 

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library