garyc

I made it out to the Brazos River for a while on this beautiful, sunny day. The temps ranged from 49 to 71 with low humidity and virtually no wind......perfect! I found a hoof core that seems different from the horse hooves I’ve found. It’s a little beat up, but maybe someone will recognize it. I placed it next to another hoof core that Harry recently identified as tapir. The tapir is on the left  and the hoof in question is on the right in each of the pics. @Harry Pristis  @fossilus  @Lorne Ledger @Shellseeker @GPayton

F71BCA4E-9B96-45F8-8E35-1788068653B7.jpeg

0DE75DF5-E78B-43FC-B2A9-35685A3EEC23.jpeg

Nice find! I can see the resemblance, but I've not yet found one of these.

You're right it was a beautiful day! I'm waiting on kayak parts, but hope to go out soon.

Yeah, it seems to flat and wide to be tapir, but it is, as you say, a little beat up.  I am thinking it could be a beat-up horse core - or a pathologic tapir core.  It's strange shaped, but the general form on your new view pics make me lean towards Horse.

• I found this Informative 2

Here is a perfect horse hoof core that I have and tried to get your same angle for pic.  I have done an overlay of your core with mine and if you can imagine it being worn down, then it sorta fits.

5fd021ac7bcbf_EquusHoofCore.jpg.6dec78037b0da83c4287d9b396d59bf4.jpg

5fd021bc988d7_Coreoverlay.jpg.4ef48bf9cfd36fc792b728b806385da2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1