Bryozoan? Martin Limestone, Devonian, Verde Valley, AZ

Doug Von Gausig

I believe this is a Bryozoan. It is about 14x16mm (about the size of a dime), and is on Martin formation Devonian dolomite from the Verde Valley in Arizona. Any opinions will be appreciated!

Bryozoan-ChasmCk-121120-5D Mark II-IMG_9952-1m.jpg

5 hours ago, Doug Von Gausig said:

I believe this is a Bryozoan. It is about 14x16mm (about the size of a dime), and is on Martin formation Devonian dolomite from the Verde Valley in Arizona. Any opinions will be appreciated!

Bryozoan-ChasmCk-121120-5D Mark II-IMG_9952-1m.jpg

This is a coral, Alveolites which has diamond shaped openings, and not a bryozoan. Are these also from Chasm Creek?

http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/2016/06/alveolites-sp-coral-from-martin.html?m=1

• I found this Informative 4

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I don't see a fenestrate either. But the angle of the photo makes it hard to tell if this is in fact a flat sheet like a fenestrate bryozoan or if we are seeing surface openings into a mound like coral head.  If it is the later, then even if dime-sized, they are too big for a bryozoan.  

Easy rule of thumb is that the zooids of bryozoa are only a fraction of a millimeter were coralites start at a millimeter or more.   Of course there are a few exceptions but they are the odd ones out.

• I found this Informative 1

I agree with Alveolites.

I never collected in the Verde Valley, but I collected from the Martin Formation in the Catalina and Whetstone Mountains.  Corals and brachiopods were common, but I do not recall seeing any bryozoans.  They may not have silicified as well as the brachiopods or corals.

Don

On 12/11/2020 at 12:57 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

This is a coral, Alveolites which has diamond shaped openings, and not a bryozoan. Are these also from Chasm Creek?

http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/2016/06/alveolites-sp-coral-from-martin.html?m=1

Yes, Chasm Creek (or at least in the same formation). Thanks for the diagnosis! That makes 5 different corals on a single 5-lb. dolomite stone!

Have you tried to etch the rock with HCl, pool acid? Most Martin Formation rocks with silicified fossils are limey enough to do so.

Here is a picture of some bryozoans found in the Martin Formation north of Payson. Field of view is about 13 mm. I do not recall any from near Chasm Creek, but they might be there.
5B67CF77-1E75-4C41-A369-92916C102932.thumb.jpeg.7040a9493c1e1d9836614420b16fe340.jpeg

Have you ever found any Pachyphyllum coral in the Verde Valley? Pachyphyllum is common in  many localities of the Martin.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/111035-devonian-coral-inspiration-for-van-gogh-painting/

325F1280-F47D-417D-8DC7-57BB3561173A.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.