Recptaculites? Verde Valley, Arizona Devonian

Doug Von Gausig

These tiny fossils I suspect of being Receptaculites, but I'm not at all sure. The patch is about 12x12mm, about the size of a dime. It's on Martin formation dolomite from the Devonian, Verde Valley, Arizona. Other fossils on the same rock include Rugose and Tabulate corals and unidentified Brachiopods. Note the lichens growing in and on the sample.

Any ideas?

Receptaculites-ChasmCk-121120-5D Mark II-IMG_9951-1m.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The Martin Fm. (Devonian) is the wrong age for Receptaculites which is common in the Ordovician.

Receptaculites has a double spiral pattern.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

This is lichen likely in the genus Ericetorum. It has some abrasion damage and is in its desiccated "resting" phase. Much of it however, is dead, and the interesting formations it leaves behind are a combination of the erosion by the lichen and weathering. The yellow stuff is colloquially called "Sunfire" or "Starburst" lichen and can be any number of species.

If you have this specimen at home, mist it lightly with distilled water every night for a few weeks and leave it on a warm, indirect light windowsill. You will get a spectacular "chia garden" from it.

• I found this Informative 3

On 12/11/2020 at 1:22 PM, LabRatKing said:

This is lichen likely in the genus Ericetorum. It has some abrasion damage and is in its desiccated "resting" phase. Much of it however, is dead, and the interesting formations it leaves behind are a combination of the erosion by the lichen and weathering. The yellow stuff is colloquially called "Sunfire" or "Starburst" lichen and can be any number of species.

If you have this specimen at home, mist it lightly with distilled water every night for a few weeks and leave it on a warm, indirect light windowsill. You will get a spectacular "chia garden" from it.

Thanks! I'm going to try the "Chia Pet" technique! 

1 hour ago, Doug Von Gausig said:

Thanks! I'm going to try the "Chia Pet" technique! 

It takes a very long time!

On 12/13/2020 at 1:40 PM, LabRatKing said:

It takes a very long time!

The field of lichen has already greened up! Interesting. I'd love to know how old this little patch is.

4 hours ago, Doug Von Gausig said:

The field of lichen has already greened up! Interesting. I'd love to know how old this little patch is.

Likely very, very old. Since you are gardening it, a few tips:

let it dry out between waterings now that you have it growing.

Many non vascular plants get additional nutrients from the dust in the air that settles on them, so from time to time, let it get some dust from outdoors!

19 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Likely very, very old. Since you are gardening it, a few tips:

let it dry out between waterings now that you have it growing.

Many non vascular plants get additional nutrients from the dust in the air that settles on them, so from time to time, let it get some dust from outdoors!

Here are two images showing the lichen as I found it and after two days of water. Remarkably responsive! Also, as I've read more, and as you said, this guy could be very, very (very!) old -- possibly in the thousands of years. Some references question whether there is a limit to their age! Seems lichens subscribe to Dunbar's (from "Catch 22") theory that to live longer, you need to make time pass slowly by embracing boredom and discomfort. 

Lichen1-121420-5D Mark II-IMG_9972-1m.jpg

Lichen1-121620-5D Mark II-IMG_9973-1m.jpg

• I found this Informative 3
  • Enjoyed 1