Basic Field Tools- A Starter Guide

LabRatKing

Never played with the Fusion personally, but the SOG tActical Tomahawk has been my workhorse for just about everything for close to a decade.

On 1/1/2021 at 12:12 PM, jpc said:

I use vinac.  I find that superglue is very stubborn when it comes time to remove it in the lab.  Vinac is less powerful, and dries more slowly, but I thank myself when I get the fossils in the lab later.  The general process on small bones is to vinac a specimen, then pedestal it as if making a plaster jacket (directions elsewhere on the web), then wrap it in foil in situ, then slide a flat chisel underneath and separate it from the substrate and wrap it in the same foil by tucking the foil in underneath.   I forgot my vinac once and had to buy superglue at the gas station on the way to the field.  Those fossils were awful to prep.  

I use clear nail polish. Easy to pack, cheap to get, and super easy to remove in the lab with a bit of acetone/ethyl acetate solution. Added bonus, removing it with said solvents dissolves it and helps further stabilize the fossil.

Super Glue is for emergency sutures only in my pack.:heartylaugh:

While I have not worn it in years, I have a Quest brand photographers vest. Lot's of pockets for larger lenses.etc. May be good for a day trip of collecting? I do like wearing a fly fishing vest along the beaches of Lakes Michigan and Superior for beach glass and stones and small fossils.. I also have more than one hunting vest, has pockets and a rear pouch for game. that may work for some folks. 

• I found this Informative 1

27 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

While I have not worn it in years, I have a Quest brand photographers vest. Lot's of pockets for larger lenses.etc. May be good for a day trip of collecting? I do like wearing a fly fishing vest along the beaches of Lakes Michigan and Superior for beach glass and stones and small fossils.. I also have more than one hunting vest, has pockets and a rear pouch for game. that may work for some folks. 

I'm built weird, so sadly fishing vests don't fit me well- they hang too loose and with stuff in the pockets become uncomfortable, though I am constantly looking for one that will.

Instead I wear a modern version of the M-65  desert field jacket by Flint and Tinder...it is on sale right now for like 85% off so I just bought another- one to wash and one to wear. (chilly days/low humidity/high altitude) and a lot of those quick dry fishing shirts high temps with humidity.