Sm Marine fossils

Shellseeker

Out hunting , everything was small.

1. Symphyseal ? I actually see some slight serrations on upper right of 1st photo.IMG_6465Crop.thumb.jpg.8d7e6acdcfa213c41c4fdead3ebc118e.jpgIMG_6468Crop.jpg.a6e31a69f85898ef3aa767a1482a601a.jpg

2. )Just to show off my only one of these for the day

IMG_6470.thumb.jpg.4873654b01911b01ba599b10d9354766.jpg

3) 29 mm in length.

IMG_6471.thumb.jpg.8fdd3da868617d165b93fb90272fdf50.jpgIMG_6473.thumb.jpg.79e9c9b124a1def3f0eec71fe40724f9.jpg

4)  Complete ?? 25 mm

IMG_6481.thumb.jpg.ce44ff083daf6917012a0898499e6e5d.jpgIMG_6484.jpg.9abb047e5c641cfe5df3950b6044f4e6.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

16 minutes ago, FossilizedJello said:

Im going to guess a stingray barb? Nice one. Also how long is the meg? It looks pretty good.

Thanks for the response. The Meg is a tad over 43 mm. The stingray barb seems a little odd.  Compare to 1st photo in this thread. Smooth "body" end.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I believe #3 is a fish bladder, or 'Tilly bone', though to which fish I don't know

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Nice finds.  Glad you were able to get in a day of hunting.  I am watching the water levels on the Peace and hoping to get back out there in the coming week.

9 hours ago, hemipristis said:

I believe #3 is a fish bladder, or 'Tilly bone', though to which fish I don't know

I am like you. Its a tilly,  and I wish I could ID species. For the record, this is the best detailed tilly I have ever taken from the Peace River.. All those fine details are usually worn away down thru the millennia.

I thought that Symphyseal would get a lot of attention.  Originally thought it was Meg, but now I am not so sure. Contortus might be a candidate. A closeup of the serrations and a reach out to those shark experts:  @Al Dente@MarcoSr@siteseer@sixgill pete@The Jersey Devil

SerrationsCurve.JPG.5e4bb8ce3de3ef914e126eb45545ce92.JPG

1 minute ago, PODIGGER said:

Nice finds.  Glad you were able to get in a day of hunting.  I am watching the water levels on the Peace and hoping to get back out there in the coming week.

You should try.  I was closer to you than I normally hunt. At one point,  I walked with my back to the current across the river. between 4 and 5 foot deep at that point.   Jack 

Thanks for the info Jack.  I'll get out there this week for sure.

Spent the past week making a display stand for pieces of a proboscidean ulna that I found in the spring.  I plan on getting it set up later today and will post a picture in the prep section.

JIm

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

I thought that Symphyseal would get a lot of attention.  Originally thought it was Meg, but now I am not so sure. Contortus might be a candidate.

I think it could be from a meg. Not sure if it is a deformed posterior tooth or symphyseal.

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I think it could be from a meg. Not sure if it is a deformed posterior tooth or symphyseal.

Thanks,  just needed some confirmation.  It is that large flat root proportional to the size of the blade that implies Meg, and when I look at it on a certain angle and light source, I almost see a bourlette.

I had not considered posterior.  I will now.

7 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Hi Al Dente,

I'm leaning deformed meg posterior.  It seems too wide to be a symphyseal.

Jess

3 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Al Dente,

Jess

10 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I agree on a meg tooth.  Symphyseal teeth tend to be compressed so I'm also leaning toward a deformed extreme posterior meg tooth.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

1 hour ago, MarcoSr said:
5 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Al Dente,

Jess

12 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I agree on a meg tooth.  Symphyseal teeth tend to be compressed so I'm also leaning toward a deformed extreme posterior meg tooth.

Marco Sr.

Thanks to all for the identification. I realized as soon as I spotted this tooth in the sieve that it was "special",  just did not know what it was. Actually, there were lots of interesting finds,  a little different from normal.   Jack

14 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

What does "Sm" mean?

Don

Small ?

sizesTFF.JPG.0c0062a4d75570606ad32e8139a1fda7.JPG