sketchy traces

Rockwood

Found this on my last trip to the quarry just northeast of Rockwood. Barring an unexpected snow melt it will be the last for the season at least.

It's thought (by me) to represent a marine delta environment. The quarry is likely to be in the Tomhegan formation.

Seeing the photos makes me think the shapes are probably all trace fossils. But what would explain all the variation ?

IMG_5243a.jpg

IMG_5245.JPG

IMG_5246.JPG

Interesting looking item.  Could  it be that it is a "tunnel" that meanders up and down out of the plane of the rock surface (which may just be a break surface, not a depositional surface) so you get different widths?  Need to get a 3-D image of it somehow....:look:

I think it's most likely concretion. It was in debris from a crushing operation, but has a similar look to the layers that contain many oblong concretions the size of a small loaf of bread in a tightly packed pattern..

Proposed hypothesis:  Both highlighted areas are the same burrowing with different preservation. The more mobile, perhaps calcitic, minerals in the fill having  been concentrated in the blue areas, and the yellow areas being an iron oxide sand mix.

These rocks were  baked and shoved around pretty good when the Appalachians were rising so it could well be something that occurred in diagenesis. 

IMG_5245_LI.jpg