Possible skull of Hadrosauriea genus

Rockhoundbrycer

Hello, I am in possession of a dino skull that I believe to be of the genus Hadrosauriea.  This skull was collected by my grandfather in the 40's in Platte Valley, WY near Saratoga. Also, for more questions or photos, I'll be happy to accommodate.  Thanks for the help! RockhoundBrycer

IMG-3359 2.jpeg

IMG-3354 2.jpeg

IMG-3361.jpeg

IMG-3356.jpeg

IMG-3357 2.jpeg

IMG-3360.jpeg

IMG-3358 2.jpeg

IMG-3360 2.jpeg

Gonna need better pictures. Those are tiny and lo-res!

Think of the fossil like a shoe box and take one pic of each side. The top, bottom, and sides are most important. Save the pics of the ends in case the pros here ask for them.

To resize, do it from your phone, or open them on your PC and use the snipping tool to make a fast and easy jpeg. You might need to post and refresh to get them all up.

• I found this Informative 3

and just so you know, the Patte Valley near Saratoga is all Miocene.  No dinosaurs anywhere near there, the fossils there are form 40 million years after the last dinoaur dies.  But, yes we need much better pictures to be able to tell what it might be.  

• I found this Informative 3

Sorry, can't see anything on these tiny images. They need to be much, much bigger.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

23 hours ago, jpc said:

and just so you know, the Patte Valley near Saratoga is all Miocene.  No dinosaurs anywhere near there, the fossils there are form 40 million years after the last dinoaur dies.  But, yes we need much better pictures to be able to tell what it might be.  

It was found near como bluffs, which is well known for dino bone. More pics coming!

On 12/12/2020 at 6:22 PM, LabRatKing said:

Gonna need better pictures. Those are tiny and lo-res!

Think of the fossil like a shoe box and take one pic of each side. The top, bottom, and sides are most important. Save the pics of the ends in case the pros here ask for them.

To resize, do it from your phone, or open them on your PC and use the snipping tool to make a fast and easy jpeg. You might need to post and refresh to get them all up.

Hey friend, please check out the much better photos!

I don't see any bone here. Nothing that looks like a skull. And there aren't any hadrosaurs in the Jurassic of Como Bluff, as it's much too early. Hadrosaurs are from the Cretaceous.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I agree with Lord T.  Nothing bone-like here.  No skull patterns, no bone textures.  Como Bluff is indeed well known for its Jurassic dinos.  Hadrosaurs are Cretaceous.  No hadrosaurs at Como or anywhere close, which is about an hour from Saratoga.  But if you ever get out here there are nice restaurants in both Saratoga and Medicine Bow (near Como).    :  )

Hmmmm, well I recommend if you can, zoom in you can see marrow, eye sockets ect. Also I only guess at the species. I have contacted paleontology here at Oklahoma State University and they are certain that its bone. Have a appointment today and will post their findings. My pictures, I assume kinda suck. I will post ultra close ups if I can figure out how to do so. There are also clearly viable ducts in the eye and tiny bones in the ear cannal. All other rock hounds that have seen it in person say bone. I could always be wrong. Also professer Charles Maberack former geology head at Colorado state University says bone. Also, does anyone know if he is a member here? 

Oh and I love Saratoga! hotel wolf is awesome! The fishing and jade museum are also wonderful. Many great memories of hobo hot springs!

6 minutes ago, Rockhoundbrycer said:

Have a appointment today and will post their findings.

I hope it turns out good but I also trust my fellow fossil forum friends. Either way good luck :fingerscrossed:

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

7 minutes ago, Rockhoundbrycer said:

Oh and I love Saratoga! hotel wolf is awesome! The fishing and jade museum are also wonderful. Many great memories of hobo hot springs!

There is a new Italian restaurant that is exceptional in Saratoga.  I haven't been there in a few years, but I sure hope they survive the pandemic.  Exceptional, I say.  Worthy of any big city Italian.  Pricey... but worth it.  

I googled "Charles Maberack Colorado State University"...I got nothing.  From these photos, I will bet all of Bill Gates' money that this is not a dinosaur bone of any kind.  The last picture looks like chert, and none of them show any bone texture.  There is no dinosaur skull shape.   There are some good paleo folks at OK State, so if they differ in opinion, after seeing it  in person, then Bill Gates owes you a ton of money.

(And just so you know I am not just making stuff up, I have been collecting dino bones here for about 30 years. ) 

• I found this Informative 4

6 hours ago, Rockhoundbrycer said:

Also, does anyone know if he is a member here? 

Why don't you ask him?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

More photos and hopefully some validation coming. Chuck discovered the kimberlite pipes in between fort Collins Cheyenne. And yes I very well could be wrong. I will try to post better photos of what I to belive to be marrow.  I of course trust you pro's. Hopefully I am not a victim of my imagination or madness. Bear with me..

Charles mabarak senior exploration geologist. He can be found on LinkedIn. Of fort Collins Colorado. Sorry about the spelling. Not trying to b.s anyone. Meeting wth Holly Woodward Ballard PhD. Of OSU. She seems to think bone, but has to see it in person. Tell Bill he might need his check book. We shall see.