Ungluing help

PrehistoricWonders

Hey,

I was wondering if there was something I could use to unglue a tooth I’ve got. It broke during shipping and I glued it, but there’s a piece that I have that doesn’t fit where it should go. I don’t want to use acetone cause I know that can be harmful to fossils sometimes, and paleo debonder didn’t work great previous times I’ve tried using it. TIA

You can apply acetone with a q-tip to the place you want to debond. This will take multiple applications most likely. If this doesn’t work, an acetone soak is the next step.

• I found this Informative 2

Acetone is probably your best option here. Apply it multiple times in the way Ptychodus04 mentioned to start. Unfortunately while acetone may sometimes damage fossils the other methods are going to be more destructive.

I have not heard of acetone being harmful to fossils.  If the glue is something like Elmer's acetone may not work.  I would try acetone and be patient.  It might take a while.  Before you do an acetone soak, consider that any other repairs might also fall apart.  

3 hours ago, Familyroadtrip said:

Hey,

I was wondering if there was something I could use to unglue a tooth I’ve got. It broke during shipping and I glued it, but there’s a piece that I have that doesn’t fit where it should go. I don’t want to use acetone cause I know that can be harmful to fossils sometimes, and paleo debonder didn’t work great previous times I’ve tried using it. TIA

What did you use to glue it? Can we get a few pictures to better direct you?

If it is a PVA glue (also commonly called white glue) Warm Water and Good old Dawn brand dish detergent will do the trick.

If cyanoacrylate (super glue), acetone/ethyl acetate solution (nail polish remover) is your only course of action though as others have said, it will destroy any other repairs and reconstructions. Neither of the solvents will harm rock however, so I am not certain where you heard it would damage your fossil.

If an epoxy was used....well it depends on what form and which one...however heat is likely your only option and the amount required will damage the fossil.

If a Urethane glue was used (like gorilla glue), mechanical removal or high heat are the only options and both will damage the fossil.

• I found this Informative 1

The piece I need help with is a large black bear canine, I used a thin paleo bond structural adhesive, PB40. 
I thought I’d heard that acetone sometimes cause fossils to disintegrate over time, and that’s why I was reluctant to use it, if it’s fine to use though, I’ve got no problem with it. As far as I know there have been no other repairs/restorations, and it looks completely natural besides that.

Hope that clears everything up!

Here’s a pic.

AD79B846-05C3-4DB2-A367-1C2577C6AD8F.jpeg

I agree with JP and the others that acetone is a mild solvent.  You might be thinking of debonder which is stronger.  Some preparators buy it and some mix their own.  I've been preparing fossils for myself and others for over 20 years and I've never seen acetone damage a bone or tooth but a debonder can so you need to test it on a random piece first.

You might have lost a couple of chips that are preventing you from getting the right fit.

Good luck,

Jess