Recptaculites? Odd structures

Caverat

I have several Receptaculites, if fact it was the first fossil I noticed as a 7 year old! The specimen I'm going to post is unusual in my collection due to an interesting pattern. Perhaps a more knowledgeable researcher can explain what It is.... The first image displays the specimen (the light blue grid is one inch) and the second is a closeup of the pattern covering the smooth areas on the right side.

10002_1.jpg

10002_2.jpg

33 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The Martin Fm. (Devonian) is the wrong age for Receptaculites which is common in the Ordovician.

The genus Receptaculites is restricted to the Devonian.  All the 'Receptaculites' from the Ordovician are now classified as: Fisherites

"The best-known receptaculitids are the Ordovician to Carboniferous family Receptaculitidae, which in the Ordovician consists of a single genus, Fisherites, with nine species ranging from TS.2c through 6b.  They are the largest receptaculitids known and are widely distributed in limestones and dolomites.  Their wide geographic distribution is comparable to that of soanitids, except that the concentration of their distribution is in central North America.  They are also found in the Canadian Arctic, Greenland, Baltoscandia, Burma, North Korea, Thailand, and the Argentine Precordillera but have not been reported from China."

Nitecki, M.H., Webby, B.D., Spjeldnaes, N., Yong-Yi, Z. 2004

Receptaculitids and Algae. 

In: The Great Ordovician Biodiversification Event.

Columbia University Press, 484 pp.

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

3 hours ago, piranha said:

The genus Receptaculites is restricted to the Devonian.  All the 'Receptaculites' from the Ordovician are now classified as: Fisherites

"The best-known receptaculitids are the Ordovician to Carboniferous family Receptaculitidae, which in the Ordovician consists of a single genus, Fisherites, with nine species ranging from TS.2c through 6b.  They are the largest receptaculitids known and are widely distributed in limestones and dolomites.  Their wide geographic distribution is comparable to that of soanitids, except that the concentration of their distribution is in central North America.  They are also found in the Canadian Arctic, Greenland, Baltoscandia, Burma, North Korea, Thailand, and the Argentine Precordillera but have not been reported from China."

Nitecki, M.H., Webby, B.D., Spjeldnaes, N., Yong-Yi, Z. 2004

Receptaculitids and Algae. 

In: The Great Ordovician Biodiversification Event.

Columbia University Press, 484 pp.

OK, Fisherites... But what of the pattern I asked about? Is this typical of all and just doesn't usually display?

Thanks for the background.

30 minutes ago, Caverat said:

OK, Fisherites... But what of the pattern I asked about? Is this typical of all and just doesn't usually display?

Thanks for the background.

image.png.b1622986948ef4cdadc0bb14c821c9e8.png

I'm not familiar with this pattern.  Please send the photo to Barry Webby for additional info: LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

1 hour ago, Caverat said:

I have several Receptaculites, if fact it was the first fossil I noticed as a 7 year old! The specimen I'm going to post is unusual in my collection due to an interesting pattern. Perhaps a more knowledgeable researcher can explain what It is.... The first image displays the specimen (the light blue grid is one inch) and the second is a closeup of the pattern covering the smooth areas on the right side.

10002_1.jpg

10002_2.jpg

Try to compare the features to the features shown in Receptaculites poelmi.

da078485-deab-4f2f-8784-4a9546e107be.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Can be this topic splitted in two?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library