Triceratops Horn section ??

Guns

I have been searching for affordable Triceratops brow horn section for 4 month now (with absolute no luck finding one that suit my budget :Cry::Cry:) .... finally someone offer me this triceratops horn section from Hell creek formation , south dakota 

I just wanna make sure that this is really a triceratops horn section before negotiating the price with seller . 

let me know what do you guys think about ID this bone !

thank you in advance guy !

Guns

350585.thumb.jpg.bf7a3351beaaa31b438f8c412c3ca99c.jpg350586.thumb.jpg.3b14d8fe741b9ae3b94a329b995f7159.jpg350587.thumb.jpg.316fe407d752d48736cbe0cab7ffdada.jpg350588.thumb.jpg.066a30e947cdfd9c176c6d8d94207baf.jpg350589.thumb.jpg.380b0a9ad96e769263af5820ba3b86e4.jpg350590.thumb.jpg.a11f419dca546afeebe6ea38530e7470.jpg

Hm, it's a bit non-de-script. But it seems consistent with a very rough chunk of ceratopsian horn.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Unfortunately, I can't tell for sure if it is a horn or not but I will ask this - Assuming enough experts here tell you it is a ceratopsian horn, would you be satisfied with this purchase? Would you be concerned whenever people ask the inevitable question, "Is that really a horn?". Would you be jealous in the future if you came across other better horns, albeit more expensive ones, and feel as though you should have waited before buying this?

If your answer is that you would be satisfied and that you won't second guess this purchase in the future, then I say go for it once enough experts confirm its identity for you

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I say it certainly could be.  There is nothing there that says... nope.  It is lacking the distinctive texture of a horn, but it is also very weathered and that could be why.  The texture on the base looks  pretty good.  If I found this in the field I would probably ID it as a ceratopsian horn in poor condition.  Can you get a photo of the other end?  

Yes it is likely. I mean, it isn't a piece of wood because of the cross section. it isn't a limb bone either. Its texture reminds me of Triceratops brow horns in the market

I will leave it to the experts to decide though

@Troodon @hxmendoza

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

It is quite weathered. But the surface reminds me more of horn than limb. It does look similar to the trike horns I've handled.

12 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Yes it is likely. I mean, it isn't a piece of wood because of the cross section. it isn't a limb bone either. Its texture reminds me of Triceratops brow horns in the market

thank you for the coment and will take your advice into consideration Andy! 

I really want to add ceratopsian horn into my collection but most of triky horn for sale online are all far from my reach and after searching for 4 mo. this is the only horn(?)i could find that in my price range but it is in fair/partial condition and yeah i can imagine someone gonna say "Is that really a horn?" "chunkosaurus?"  etc 

thank you again! really appreciate the help!! 

cheer

Guns

4 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

It is quite weathered. But the surface reminds me more of horn than limb. It does look similar to the trike horns I've handled.

thank you for the help once again sir!!!! 

just curious to know that what is the different between horn section and limb section? 

thank you!!! 

Guns

On the outside, a horn core will have a pretty rough texture with lots of grooves for veins to feed the growth of the horn. A limb will have very smooth bone surface for the most part. Of course there will be the occasional muscle scar in several places. But the two really aren't comparable and look totally different. The trouble here is that the bone is so weathered that it becomes hard to see what the original bone surface was like. But it looks like there might be some original stuff left, that looks rough with the grooves that one would expect to see on a horn core.

• I found this Informative 2

The picture above the one with the orange arrow convinces me this is a worn horn core.  I see a certain blood groove in that 9one, running from top left to bottom right, mostly.  I vote Horn Core.  

The only caution is how well has it been preserved if at all seeing the moss on it and all the fractures.  Hate to see it fall apart during shipment or when handling

7 hours ago, Guns said:

just curious to know that what is the different between horn section and limb section? 

I think that @snolly50 photo-thumb-8873.jpg.317caeb3e89a21dfde7d6c86fd600991.jpg used to play in a horn section, so I'm sure he could give you a reasonable answer :P

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

6 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Hate to see it fall apart during shipment or when handling

that hapenned to me before with my hadrosaur ulnar 30% of it break into pieces during shipment

IMG_20201216_080130.thumb.jpg.afde9bad653ee9e6b6921ae65bba23db.jpg

7 hours ago, Guns said:

that hapenned to me before with my hadrosaur ulnar 30% of it break into pieces during shipment

IMG_20201216_080130.thumb.jpg.afde9bad653ee9e6b6921ae65bba23db.jpg

Could be worse... This hadrosaur humerus was in one piece when I ordered it. This is how it arrived. Getting it all back together was a fun prep project tho.

hadrosaur_humerus01.thumb.jpg.85f2d60ec078fe145bc64a353af013a0.jpg

As you negotiate with the seller for a price, show them these ulna pictures and make sure they pack it VERY well.  The bone quality of a horn might make it fall apart into much smaller splinters than a leg bone.  When I did a lot of fossil shipping I double boxed everything with two inches of foam around the fossils and the inside box on all six sides.  Nothing ever arrived broken.  Correction, the only thing that arrived broken was an ammonite I got lazy with.  I did a bad job packing, and , well... it was sad.  

9 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Could be worse... This hadrosaur humerus was in one piece when I ordered it. This is how it arrived. Getting it all back together was a fun prep project tho.

hadrosaur_humerus01.thumb.jpg.85f2d60ec078fe145bc64a353af013a0.jpg

This one hurts to look at. Were you able to piece it back together?

9 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

This one hurts to look at. Were you able to piece it back together?

Yes! It's one of my favourite fossils I have.

Saurolphinae_humerusR01.jpg.f16993c876a3dbb7e6b71b4e11556a24.jpg

1 hour ago, TyBoy said:

Agree I suggest on a bone this size and shape it should doubled boxed.   Require it as part of the sale.

I recently got a hadrosaur dentary that was double boxed and STILL arrived broken in two. Luckily it was on an old repair. But still, can't be too careful.

There is no guarantee when shipping poorly preserved fossils or even good ones the only hope is to take has much precaution as possible.  Ideally it should be stabilized before shipping.  

This one is a very high risk without stabilization