Ichthyosaur bone block

DanJeavs

After a few months of many acid baths and manual prep, I finished this quality piece off this afternoon. Most likely heavily predated by another marine reptile. There’s verts, neural arches, ribs, teeth and jaw. Probably around 30 hours of prep in total. Finally have an abrasion unit on its way so all that’s left is to finish the matrix. This is my first foray into proper bone prep, only really doing smaller pieces before, and needed a challenge during this lockdown I’m the uk. Pretty happy with how it’s come out. 

4B27C2C3-7D1A-4E5B-9EBF-BB747FA487E6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

Great looking fossil, Dan! You did quite well with this, I think.  :) 

Thanks for posting it. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

For all of the hard work, the finished product is wonderful! Can you point out the teeth and jaw for me?

Mike

Lovely work @DanJeavs, would you go into a bit more detail on the acid prep process? 
I often see blocks like this On sale, but just sliced and polished, I think it’s such a waste of a nice piece and have often wondered if there was an alternative way of prepping them

Very nice prep work! Great job and awesome specimen. :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

21 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great looking fossil, Dan! You did quite well with this, I think.  :) 

Thanks for posting it. 

Thank you! I think I’ll come back to it at some point and refine it once I have my new pens and abrasive 

20 hours ago, Welsh Wizard said:

Well done Dan

It looks good.

Nick

Cheers buddy. Only thing lockdown has been good for haha

19 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

For all of the hard work, the finished product is wonderful! Can you point out the teeth and jaw for me?

Mike

I’ll see if it’ll let me upload pictures depending on size. Somebody really ought to look into solving this issue. 

9DF64107-2974-423A-9DE2-ED4D4D4C8F54.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Just now, DanJeavs said:

I’ll see if it’ll let me upload pictures depending on size. Somebody really ought to look into solving this issue. 

9DF64107-2974-423A-9DE2-ED4D4D4C8F54.jpeg

That’s the one it will let me upload but there’s another 4-5 that’ll I’ll be getting out at a later date. The jaw section is on the main pic far left hand side. Though it’s hard to see 

12 hours ago, dhiggi said:

Lovely work @DanJeavs, would you go into a bit more detail on the acid prep process? 
I often see blocks like this On sale, but just sliced and polished, I think it’s such a waste of a nice piece and have often wondered if there was an alternative way of prepping them

If they’ve been cut and polished it’s because of how pyritic it is mate and it’s not worth while prepping. 

9 hours ago, jeannie55 said:

What lovely bones you have posted. 

Thank you! Just wish my old would stay this well preserved haha. 

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I'll bet you just can't wait to get your hands on that abrader :)

Like you wouldn’t believe. I have some quality material that only an abrader can do. Kills me everytime I look in the boxes haha

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

Very nice prep work! Great job and awesome specimen. :thumbsu:

Cheers! Very happy to have it in my collection.  Hopefully I’ll find a plesi next.....

28 minutes ago, DanJeavs said:

That’s the one it will let me upload but there’s another 4-5 that’ll I’ll be getting out at a later date.

You can add any additional images in your replies.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

30 minutes ago, DanJeavs said:

That’s the one it will let me upload but there’s another 4-5 that’ll I’ll be getting out at a later date. The jaw section is on the main pic far left hand side. Though it’s hard to see 

361CB7E1-D14E-4C45-B522-C78BB3F390D7.jpeg