Is this Elongatoolithid egg authentic

Seeabove

Hello everyone,

I am just curious if this Elongatoolithid is genuine. The owner states on his/her account that it would come with a certificate of authenticity and has had it for over a decade. It looks surprisingly real, though I am cautious as I have heard of how many fake Oviraptor/Citipati eggs there are.

Oviraptor1.jpg

Oviraptor2.jpg

Oviraptor3.jpg

Oviraptor4.jpg

Oviraptor5.jpg

Oviraptor6.jpg

Oviraptor7.jpg

Oviraptor8.jpg

Oviraptor9.jpg

Oviraptor10.jpg

Oviraptor11.jpg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Not an eggspert, just what I have learned during my time here on TFF: Looks real to me!

Individual fragments of egg shell fit together, egg shell texture seems also to be continuous. That is, no shell fragments from other eggs added.

I don´t know if it is a bad, ok or good specimen, though. At least it looks real. That large parts of the egg shell are missing, is also a good sign of authenticity. Who would try to sell such an incomplete fake?

I can also not say anything about ID.

6 hours ago, Seeabove said:

certificate of authenticity

This would usually be a red flag. Forget such certificates...

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 3

4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

This would usually be a red flag. Forget such certificates...

Franz Bernhard

Franz is right:

Anyone with a printer and publishing/word processing software can create a Certificate of Authenticity. They mean NOTHING.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

From the photos, I believe the egg is "real." It would benefit from prep. The negative; there is less than 50% shell coverage. It should be priced accordingly, as more "complete" specimens are available. If it were mine, I would clean it up and display it proudly.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Franz is right:

Anyone with a printer and publishing/word processing software can create a Certificate of Authenticity. They mean NOTHING.

:DittoSign:

6 hours ago, Seeabove said:

certificate of authenticity

I was lured by the ol’ Certificate of Authenticity once. It only took one time to realize they are not worth the paper they are printed on. I’m no eggspert ;) (others will chime in on that) but please don’t let the worthless certificate sway your decision! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Echoing the others. It looks real but with missing shell.

Unless your cert is from one of the reliable preppers like Lowell (which I doubt so in this example as his eggs have a different appearance), it doesn't mean anything

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no eggspert, but it looks eggsactly like an egg should. It's definitely not one of the eggregious fakes that reggularly pop up on this forum. Their eggshausting!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

16 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

I'm no eggspert, but it looks eggsactly like an egg should. It's definitely not one of the eggregious fakes that reggularly pop up on this forum. Their eggshausting!

Love your Egg- theme sentence man ! Eggcellent!!!

• 2 months later...

Just bought the egg last week and got I just got it this Friday. It's as real as they come and it came from though it was id as an Oviraptor egg but it came from the nanxiong formation.

Very typical of the eggs from Nanxiong Formation in Ganzhou of Jiangxi Province, China.  Eggs with good shell coverage are not common, especially it is not helped by the very rough way of removing the matrix from the eggs.  The eggs were usually found by construction workers in development sites, sometimes from blasting with dynamites!