Is this a partial skull? (from Pennsylvanian Shale; northeast Oklahoma)

Gramps

I found this broken nodule in an outcrop of Pennsylvanian shale in Northeast Oklahoma. I’m wondering if the fossil could be the upper part of a skull? Other common fossils from this site include fragmentary fish remains (e.g., teeth, spines, dermal denticles, and coprolites from sharks and other fishes), as well as invertebrate remains from ammonites, gastropods, bivalves, brachiopods, corals, and conularia.

If this is a skull, would you guess it to be from a fish, amphibian, or reptile? I don’t see any traces of teeth in the nodule, but I can provide closer views of areas that might be of interest.

I’ve done as much prep work as I dare with a brush and needle (my skills and tools are rudimentary).

I look forward to any thoughts you may have.

Best wishes

.Slide1.thumb.JPG.3b46a17945879a72d9edbeebbd2b5cff.JPG

Slide2.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

Most of the shale in this area is from the Desmoinesian (middle Pennsylvanian). It is probably (but not definitively) from the Excello shale.

• I found this Informative 1

Looks similar to one I saw in the past that was "fish skull" Sorry I do not remember who posted it.

Maybe "Carl" could look at since he has good reference info. I will email him and see if he can take a look.

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Wow! I agree that this looks like chondricthyan cartilage. I'm looking into it and hope to have some sort of ID soon. Stay tuned.

Hey!

Good to see the cavalry is on the way.  :)

Thank you all so much for your help. Petalodus12: Any ideas about the part of the anatomy the cartilage might belong to?

Thanks again

Braincase is correct. I'm not sure if the sculpture represents calcified cartilage tesserae or whether we're seeing fine sculpturing on the surface of skull bones. I think it might be the latter. Strange little long-snouted thing either way, though. I expect this will be scientifically important.

• I found this Informative 7

Like RuMert said: neat find! :footprint:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Here's what Dr. John Maisey says:

"It’s a complete (?) iniopterygian skull. Dorsal surface is exposed. They are incredibly rare. [You] won’t find the teeth because they are on the other side and very tiny."

He adds that you should definitely not prepare it any more. Iniopterygians and super weird chondricthyans. Congrats on a wonderful find!

• I found this Informative 20

22 minutes ago, Carl said:

He adds that you should definitely not prepare it any more. 

Are you implying that a professional should prep it and maybe study it?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks to Carl and everyone else who provided information. Carl, please express my thanks to Dr. Maisey. So that everyone knows the fossil is going to a good home, Carl has asked that I donate it to the American Museum of Natural History, and I have agreed to do so. (Now I need to find some journal articles on iniopterygians so I know what I've found.

Best wishes

• I found this Informative 16

10 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Thanks to Carl and everyone else who provided information. Carl, please express my thanks to Dr. Maisey. So that everyone knows the fossil is going to a good home, Carl has asked that I donate it to the American Museum of Natural History, and I have agreed to do so. (Now I need to find some journal articles on iniopterygians so I know what I've found.

Best wishes

Congrats on the wonderful find!  Most of us can only dream of finding a scientifically important fossil :D 

Great find.:)

And a super example of forum members working together to help get a result. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png