Echies of Texas (My Best Month!)

JamieLynn

Well, I have to say, not having a full time job due to this pandemic has been extra good for my fossil hunting! I may not be making much of a living, but I'm living it up finding fossils! Fortunately, as someone pointed out to me recently "it seems like Texas is paved in fossils". While this may not be 100% accurate....it's pretty close! Within a gas tanks drive I am lucky to have MANY MANY fossil hunting spots available to me. And when November rolls around (honestly, the nicest month in Texas- mild temps and no Cedar Fever Allergies to contend with) I try to get out as much as possible. And I was rewarded for my efforts this month...BIG TIME.  Some Epic Echies for the month of November! Added two new to my collection plus a few nicer examples of others. 

Heterosalenia (rykyrae) (Currently undescribed echinoid from the Glen Rose Formation.  It is joining 3 other specimens in an upcoming research paper)

(Honking my own horn here...you may have seen this first one in the Fossil of the Month contest) 

As found and in process of being cleaned up all pretty like!   13.5 mm

5fd917535e596_EchinoidHeterosalenia(rykyrae).thumb.jpg.4a72e1976d8f0e3581ddf7dd8cfd932d.jpg

5fd91753ea0b5_EchinoidHeterosalenia.jpg.eeed24cf3806fff7af4c39b4688cd9c5.jpg

As if that weren't enough for the highlight of my month, I finally got to go back to the Waco Pit Research Area (it had been closed since March and finally reopened last moth). 

I was lucky enough to find the TWO exact things I was looking for - a shark tooth and a Goniophorus Echinoid! Granted, it's a little crushed and wonky looking, but it's MINE. :) 

Goniophorus scotti  Size: 12mm     Del Rio Formation

5fd917524dea1_EchinoidgoniophorusscottiWaco.thumb.jpg.7463c2708324b84032ffb27dfcb9ebd3.jpg

Those were my two new additions to my list of Texas Echies.  The rest of these are good specimens of already found genus,

Leptosalenia mexicana   Size 15 mm    Walnut Formation  

5fd918d1dfbfa_EchinoidLeptosaleniamexicanaLometaWalnutBest(1).thumb.JPG.fc5d5ab939d35d67b30372afd464a914.JPG

I have been trying to find a Coenholectypus ovatus  (vs. planatus)  but every one I have found the peristome is so covered in matrix that I cannot tell what they are. 

But I really loved how you can see the individual plates on this one.   

Size: 25mm    Glen Rose Formation

5fd918d0e94a7_EchinoidCoenholectypusFredburgGR(1).thumb.JPG.a334dadc35658bccaa19f445534eb3e3.JPG

And just a nice little Pliotoxaster 

Size: 20mm   Comanche Peak Formation

5fd918af5acad_EchinoidPliotoxasterComPeakEvant.thumb.jpg.64f1efed02c0851d79a599c939a2eb57.jpg

And finally, a nice Tetragramma texanum

Size: 32 mm     Walnut Formation

5fd91b10e2be6_EchinoidTetragrammaHH(2).thumb.JPG.6b302817621c8922539296d2fc965c64.JPG

• I found this Informative 20

1 hour ago, will stevenson said:

(i tried)

And found guilty.:rolleyes:

Goodness.

JamieLynn, those are great specimens and lovely photos of them. :)

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

What a bunch of beauties! :wub:

Congratulations Jamie! I am :envy:.

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

“Goniopygus” = Goniophorus?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

7 hours ago, caterpillar said:

Nice echies but I don't think your Tetragramma is a malbosi. T.malbosi has 6 tubercles at the ambitus. Your has only 4.

And I don't see if the tubercles are perforated. If not, it's a Phymosoma

The tubercles are definitely perforate. According to the Collector's Guide to Texas Cretaceous Echinoids "T. malbosii is .reported to have transversely oriented rows of four primary tubercles per interambulacral plate".

1 hour ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

“Goniopygus” = Goniophorus?

OH geez...duh. Thanks for the catch.

4 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

T. malbosii is .reported to have transversely oriented rows of four primary tubercles per interambulacral plate".

Indeed, that is 8 (3 large + 1 small) tubercles on the ambitus because there are 2 interambulacral plates

tetragramma malbosi.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

I agree, it isn't Loriolia.  Two other Tetragrammas occur that have 4 perforated tubercles between the ambulacra at the ambitus.  Tetragramma tenerum occurs in the Glen Rose Formation, but it is typically very small.  At 32 mm, a better possibility is Tetragramma texanum from formations in the Fredericksburg Group (including the Walnut).

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@RuMert - your question prompted me to do this (been wanting to do so, but just hadn't, so thanks for the "push"! )  So 29-30 species, depending on if that second to last Tetragramma is also a taffi or not. :)  And yeah, they don't have sizes. I'll add that eventually. 

TEXAS CRETACEOUS ECHINOIDS (that I have found...so far) 

Slide1.JPG.aa3a7153cf775e1acfcc7efe83dea7bc.JPG

Slide2.JPG.3816d42831fc1a51453cc46b053e299b.JPG

• I found this Informative 9