Montana Hadrosaur Bone?

Robski

Greetings

Found this section of Dino bone in a local antique shop. It was from an estate of a man who found it and a few others in Montana in the 1950s.  Thought it was cool and it was listed as a Hadrosaur bone.  Some great colours.  I have included end shots to show the marrow in cross-section.

I know there is not much to work with but would anyone know from what bone this section would be from?

It is a long shot but ... it is worth a try.

Best Regards

Rob

IMG_4068.jpg

IMG_4069.jpg

IMG_4070.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4074.jpg

With a cross section like that... it might be the mid section of a humerus. While there does seem to be some crushing, much of the internal bone seems to be fairly intact. Which would mean that that vague U shape in the cross section would be a natural shape. And that is exactly what I would expect on a hadrosaur humerus. The thin shaft is a bit more round in shape and as you ho towards the top/proximal end you get a soft U shape around the deltopectoral crest.

Mind you that I'm only saying a humerus might be likely, as it's still a very incomplete piece of bone.

And even if this is all correct, and that it is actually a partial hadrosaur humerus. You cannot put a name on it without a more specific location. There are several formations in Montana where hadrosaurs can be found from different times. There's a whole bunch of different species it could be.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Based on the commonality of the family in the state's late cretaceous formations and the details provided by @LordTrilobite about the limb morphology, I would be inclined to agree with the hadrosaur ID. However, as my peer said before me, it all comes down to location, and without one it is impossible to honestly say which of the many genera it may belong to. In Montana, the Hell Creek, Judith River and Two Medicine are the three major late Cretaceous formations which produce dinosaur material, along with the early Cretaceous Cloverly and Late Jurassic Morrison formations which also include large ornithopods in their fauna (Tenontosaurus and Camptosaurus respectively).

Regardless, it's a beautiful and interesting piece to have in your collection.

I Appreciate the info.

It was a long shot to get anything definitive.  I am very happy to have this piece of Hadorsaur bone and will enjoy it. 

You warmed this old Geologist's heart haha.

Merry Christmas!!

Rob

• I found this Informative 1